The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 7, 2002, 11:28 AM   #1
Riss

Anyone havepics of Suppressed Ruder MkII .22

Looking for pics of the parts to attach a can to a MKII. Looking to have one built by my Class 2. Even good pics of the MK II taken apart would help.
Old April 8, 2002, 12:10 PM   #2
ctdonath

Every picture I've seen has the suppressor integral to the barrel. It just looks like a bull-barrel Mk II.
Old April 9, 2002, 05:35 PM   #3
The Rock

You thread the barrel or make some sort of a QD catch involving springs and pins or spings and blind notches.

Easiest is threads for on and off, usually. The Gemtech system that is QD is pretty tight tho..

TR
Old April 9, 2002, 05:45 PM   #4
Ledbetter

For educational purposes only

Mark White has written a book on suppressors made of common home materials like pvc pipe and soft drink cans. He treats the Mk II at length. There are many photographs. He is the same guy who wrote the leading 10/22 resource book.

Regards, and don't blame me if you get caught doing something you shouldn't.
Old April 9, 2002, 05:55 PM   #5
Riss

Actually looking even for pics of how the stock gun is put together. Don't worry about me. I have an FFL and am also working with others to redesign some of the more commonly found suppressed guns. Most manufacturers are likewise reluctant to release their designs in fear of being copied without permission. I only want to build off their design and improve it.
Old April 10, 2002, 04:58 AM   #6
UltimaThule

Here are two ways of attaching a can. The way it is done on the Ruger obviously requiers the muzzle to be re-crowned, and you loose a half inch or so of the effective barrel length. It's also important to actually use the protective nut when the can is not attached, otherwise the threads will fill up with dirt and lead particles.

I'm very happy with mine, the gun is not altered in any significant way when not suppressed. The long can at the end of the barrel changes the balance a bit, but it's surprisingly easy to shoot well. Accuracy does not suffer, nor does point of impact change on either of my guns, but strange things may happen when you attach all that weight at the muzzel.

The one on my Ruger was made by a local gunsmith years ago, I think I paid 120 dollars or so, including the threading of the muzzel. The can on the rifle (CZ) is mass produced, and I think all the rifles imported to this country are threaded as a matter of course, "no one" buys a .22 without a suppressor anyway. I paid about 350 dollars for the CZ complete with suppressor and a scope a couple of years ago. No tax stamp, no hassel, it's great to live in a civilized country.

You may also want to go here: http://guns.connect.fi/
There are some interesting stuff about suppressors among other things. Check out the link to Reflex suppressors.
Old April 10, 2002, 05:04 AM   #7
UltimaThule

Looks like the server does not want to accept the attachment. I've had this problem before, I have no idea what it is. Trying again:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suppressor.jpg (180.5 KB, 156 views)
Old April 10, 2002, 06:35 AM   #8
johelin

I think that outside thread is more common, even on Ruger Mark II´s. That way it will accept standard cans (1/2" - 20 UNF thread).