The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old September 22, 2001, 12:21 PM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

November is a Fantastic Issue!

Okay, being biased, you had me with the Springfield TRP PRO article... but then you went on with the 10MM EAA review... A Short Barreled sniper rifle... and then a fantastic article on Handgun Sights... All wonderful.
You even have some pretty good stuff about the AR-15 types things that I didn't read, but laughed at the photos. (Blatant Inflamitory Remark: AR's SUCK!)

However, your best article in the whole rag was near the back... Your review of the Chinese B-3 rifle was spot on. One of the most enjoyable reviews I ever read. "Select Grade Orange Crate" and the other captions were fantastic.

GOOD JOB!

There are a couple of things missing... 1. The Ads for all the Girls in the back. Thats something that should never have been in this magazine. Its wonderful that they are no MIA. 2. Knives. There are a lot of knives going on in the magazine but no articles about any of them. You had the little product blurb about the SOG Access card but thats it. Being mankinds oldest tool and most used duty tool as well, you should have some knife content.

Best gun magazine issue I've read all year.
Old September 22, 2001, 02:32 PM   #2
sgoeing

I agree with some included knife content.
Very happy subscriber,
Michael Goeing
sgoeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2001, 04:43 PM   #3
Jeff White

Only One Bad Article

I thought the article on the M4 by Chuck Taylor shouldn't have been included. Especially since it had so many inaccuracies and so much out and out wrong information in it. The article was actually about the Colt semi-auto LE only Law Enfocement Carbines.

I expect to see writing of this caliber in the Guns and Ammo Assualt Weapons Special or some other more mainstream rag.

Overall the issue was excellent. We're moving away from Guns and Ammo and heading towards the now defunct Tactical Shooter. Keep it up and we'll have the best magazine on the market.

Jeff
Jeff White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2001, 06:17 PM   #4
Micro

Too much!

This is a great magazine! Most gun rags I can read cover to cover in one sitting. S.W.A.T. on the other hand is taking me days... talk about value! This and last months issues have been great, keep up the good work.
Micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2001, 08:01 PM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I only glanced at the M4 article... Chuck Taylor is a boob.
Old September 22, 2001, 08:16 PM   #6
Jeff White

George,

I sent Denny a long e-mail pointing out the inaccuarcies and the just out and out untruths. He lost what little credibility he had with me when he reported the Army was changing the twist rate in all their barrels to 1/9. A lie he continues to spread with some modification in the article. Now the Army is just changing M4s to 1/9 twist.

Jeff
Old September 22, 2001, 11:14 PM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

November Briefing Room and summary is available at http://www.swatmagazine.com/brief.htm
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2001, 07:53 AM   #8
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Good issue. I especially liked some of the stuff

Rob Pincus

had to say, and I always like reading LeRoy Thompson. It was also nice to see Ashley Emmerson's input.
Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2001, 09:55 AM   #9
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Mr. Emerson's article was nice for a guy like me who never put that much thought into how or why some sights work better than others.

I love the Witness/CZ. Not hard to hook me with that, but both the M4 and Springfield articles seemed a little glossy to me.
The B3 review was great. That's the kind of thing I love. I can't resist a deal, so $40 for an ugly pellet gun that shoots right is great.

In conclusion, I would just like to say:

KNIVES! KNIVES! KNIVES! KNIVES!
SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!

A knife section would be great.
Old September 23, 2001, 10:58 AM   #10
Dean Speir

Blurbing the M4 on the cover…

…and then delivering content about the Colt's carbine?!? That's certainly not the way to achieve and maintain credibility!
Quote:
I thought the article on the M4 by Chuck Taylor shouldn't have been included.
Well, that's definitely a change of pace from Chuck recycling another piece about the Thompson SMG, but if you really do have Pat Rogers on staff, how could you possibly consider anyone else writing about the M4? What next, Dr. Dvorchak authoring a report on police use of the 12 gauge?

I mean, I'm sure you have an "inventory" (backlog) of articles, but what price S.W.A.T.'s credibility?

Dean, jus' visitin' from The Gun Zone
Dean Speir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2001, 11:32 AM   #11
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

I almost have the feeling some of you didn't like Chuck's article on the M4 .
Jeff-
I'd like your permission to print your letter pointing out the inaccuracies in the article. In your letter you mentioned the department you work for by name. Would you like that edited to a generic form?

Ya'll want some articles on knives? No problem.

Dean-
Credibility and honor is everything. When all is said and done, there's really not much else that matters.
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2001, 01:05 PM   #12
Jeff White

Denny,
Of course you may print the letter and yes, please make my dept. affiliation generic.

If you can't get Pat Rogers to write an M4 article, I may give it it a try. I've got a lot of material and done quite a bit of research on it.

Jeff
Old September 26, 2001, 01:13 PM   #13
Correia

Mine hasn't arrived yet so I can't comment, but I'm a big Springfield fan, so I'm eagerly awaiting the review of the TRP.

Just one question though, does Chuck Taylor have pictures of himself out in the jungles wearing that darn sweater?
Correia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2001, 06:34 PM   #14
HankL

FnA Larry, Wish my copy wasn't at work so I could scan it and put it up here for you!:barf:
Old October 2, 2001, 01:14 PM   #15
Correia

Mine arrived. There are some great articles in this one. Clint Smith's was good, and Ashley Emmerson's was great.

And I noticed another TFLer on the staff. Way to go Dennis!
Correia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2001, 01:55 PM   #16
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Larry-
I'm glad your subscripiton finally came through to you and happy to hear that you found something in the magazine you enjoyed.

Dennis is doing a great job as copy editor, but IF you find a typo now you know who to blame

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2001, 02:54 PM   #17
KSFreeman

Hmmm....they even let Brent Wheat write an article. Well, someone has to liven up the staff meetings.
KSFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2001, 03:41 PM   #18
KSFreeman

Peter, I didn't see your article until yesterday (and I was looking for the Chinee luftsturmgewehr article)! Very well written and even a lawyer could understand it even though it did not contain a single "whereas." Good job, doc.

Did you get my letter about Florida this winter? How about Tejas in the spring?
KSFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2001, 06:20 PM   #19
Legionnaire

November was my first issue as a new subscriber under the TFL offer. All I can say is Thanks! I was somewhat skeptical about another gun rag, but if the remaining issues in my one year subscription are of the caliber (pun intended) of the November issue, I'll re-up. I liked Emmerson's piece, and really liked Clint Smith's article; I've always suspected that the elusive quarter-minute-of-angle tactical rifle was "overkill" (again, pun intended). I like my accurized 700, but my Model 7 gets more time in the field.

I'll be interested in reading the letter on the inaccuracies in Chuck Taylor's piece. I'm new to the AR, and like it, and don't like the idea that there is misinformation here. So I'll be interested in seeing the "rebuttal." Hope it gets posted here as well as printed in the magazine.

Rich et al, thanks for a good first exposure. I look forward to the next issue.
Old October 18, 2001, 01:57 AM   #20
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Most anything written by Chuck Taylor needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Now, he did write a pretty good peice about the Uzi.
But that was a long time ago.