The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 18, 2004, 01:57 PM   #1
Tommy Vercetti

If a friend asked for your advise

on which shotgun to buy just to have around the house..because it's better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it..he's not a hunter..he doesn't own any guns but his dad has a 12 gauge pump shotgun he has shot and is along the lines of what he wants..for just in case
Old July 18, 2004, 02:13 PM   #2
Vibe

A pump shotgun would be good. Plus it's somthing that's effective and more importantly something he is already somewhat familiar with..."Go with what you know" is always pretty good advice. But then again so is "learn more".

TFL Member #17104
Old July 18, 2004, 04:23 PM   #3
steveno

get a remington 870 in 12 gauge. it is the best pump shotgun bar none
Old July 18, 2004, 04:36 PM   #4
Manchu

870 HD (part# 25077), from Davidsons <$320.
Old July 18, 2004, 05:19 PM   #5
Hard Ball

Also the "Klatch Klatch" sounf of a pump 12 gauge shotgun's action being worked is VERY intimidating.
Old July 18, 2004, 05:32 PM   #6
Geoff Timm

Be sure to emphasize safety and suggest one of the locking rack systems, if it's the only gun it's as effective as a safe and easier to hide.

Geoff
Who worries about kids in the house.
Old July 19, 2004, 09:45 AM   #7
Vibe

Quote:
Geoff
Who worries about kids in the house.
Slightly off topic - but maybe not....

It's not "kids" in the house that one must worry about - but ignorant uneducated (where firearms are concerned) "kids" in the house. And a full grown person can (under these conditions) be just as dangerous to themselves and to others. Ignorance and stupidity are MUCH more dangerous than ANY firearm.

TFL Member #17104
Old July 19, 2004, 10:39 AM   #8
ducktapehero

Ithaca 37, it's what the 870 wants to be when it becomes a REAL shotgun.

The Revolver
Not as clumsy or as random as a semi-auto.
An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.
Old July 19, 2004, 12:45 PM   #9
K80Geoff

The Ithaca 37 is a great gun, so is the 870.

Pump shotguns are more difficult for non gun oriented people to use. They have to know how to rack the slide and throw the safety. Most people will not know how to do this unless you show them. I know this from having to show gun people how to do it! Little kids are going to have a hard time, bigger kids should be taught not to touch.

BTW the Ithca 37 was originally Remington design, they dropped it for the model 31 which was dropped for the 870.
Old July 19, 2004, 06:06 PM   #10
HSMITH

For a gun that will not get shot much if at all take him to Wal-Mart and get him the Maveric 88 by Mossberg for about $160 brand spanking new. It works fine, and will be all he needs. Spending double on an 870 or a 37 would be money tied up that could be used elsewhere.

If you need to trim one small branch do you buy a handsaw from the bargain rack or a Stihl chainsaw for $450? I suppose it depends on your financial condition but you get the point.....
Old July 19, 2004, 06:35 PM   #11
dfaugh

Mossberg 500

or some permutation thereof

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old July 19, 2004, 06:51 PM   #12
ducktapehero

Quote:
BTW the Ithca 37 was originally Remington design, they dropped it for the model 31 which was dropped for the 870.
Coke dropped the real thing for that nasty ass new Coke. Companies make mistakes.

The Revolver
Not as clumsy or as random as a semi-auto.
An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.
Old July 19, 2004, 11:47 PM   #13
PATH

Basic home defense requirements are met at a bargain price with a Mossberg 500 as was previously mentioned. Remington and Ithaca are wonderful to be sure but for some jobs the 10 dollar hammer is every bit as good as the 40 dollar one.

At the shop I work at the Mossberg is the #1 seller for home defense. I can't say as I like the pistol grips some folks get. The Defender Model in .410 is just great especially for folks of small stature. I'd like to think that the racking of a shotgun is an effective tool for dealing with miscreants. The Mossbergs sound every bit as menacing and are every bit as effective as their more expensive counterparts.

DISCLAIMER: The aforementioned opinion is mine and mine alone and reflects my personal choices in firearms. I thank God that Glock does not make a shotgun or I would be in serious trouble here!

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old July 20, 2004, 12:10 AM   #14
Arizona Fusilier

For this particular scenario, I would vote for a Mossberg too. Good value for the money. At this time in history, I think most reputable makers have mastered the slide action (pump) shotgun sufficiently that the occasional use envisioned here would not be served by more expensive models, as others have noted.
Old July 20, 2004, 07:25 AM   #15
K80Geoff

I take the advice of a master carpenter I once had dealings with.

"Quality tools pay for themselves in the long run"

K80 who just bought a Stihl chainsaw
(For a lot less than $450!)
Old September 3, 2004, 03:24 PM   #16
Red Tornado

I have a Mossberg 500, and agree that it is an excellent choice. However,(just to confuse things a bit ) since it's for just-in-case, he might consider one of the import double-barrel coach guns. I think the Baikal is around $200 and the length makes them very handy for a home defense situation.

There's no scarier sound than a pump being racked, but there's no scarier sight than a pair of 12ga barrels looking at you.
Old September 3, 2004, 03:39 PM   #17
Quartus

Don't overlook the Winchester 1300. Not as much $$ as the Remington, but a respectable piece.

I'd never recommend a double for anything other than cowboy reenactments or just fun shooting.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old September 3, 2004, 08:33 PM   #18
ghostdoc

I like the Remmy 870, but the others are great shotguns too. Better tell him, whatever he gets, to take it out and train with an experienced friend like yourself or take a course. Good luck to ya. gd
Old September 6, 2004, 07:08 AM   #19
seeker_two

If he's a novice looking for a simple SD SGN, I think he'd be best served by a 12ga double-barrel coach gun (i.e. Stoeger, EAA, etc.)
  1. Easy to load, unload, secure, & generally operate...
  2. Prices similar to a quality pump (I paid $250 for my Stoeger)....
  3. More compact than a pump w/ the same barrel length....
  4. No gas system to clean....
  5. Can't short-shuck a double...

The only "shortcoming" is its ammo capacity (1 shell per barrel); but, w/ practice, reloading is faster than one would think. Just keep a butt cuff w/ extra rounds handy, and you're all set....
Old September 6, 2004, 07:27 AM   #20
K80Geoff

Well I supose if the guy is going to shoot one box of ammo in the gun and put it in the corner of the closet and not use it a coach gun is the best choice. It is the simplest and most reliable action. Especially the russian guns which are built solid.
Old September 6, 2004, 11:53 AM   #21
Edward429451

K80Geoff has it right. Quality tools are worth much more in the long run. Mavericks are ok when brand new and would saw the one branch down, but in 5 yrs he may need to use it again and would probably wind up buying another then. He'd then be paying the same price or more after the second purchase. Pay twice as much now and get ten times the gun, last forever.

There's nothing worse than thinking you have a tool on the shelf, needing it and finding out that you really don't have a tool on the shelf (anymore).

Remingtom 870 in any configuration.
Old September 6, 2004, 12:51 PM   #22
rugerdude

Get The Maverick!!!!!

I paid 140 dollars brand new for mine and I could have paid less but I liked the ribbed fore-end. the money you save on not buying a 200+ dollar gun can go to getting ammo to practise with, or things like a side folding stock (the 88 is a bit long at 4 feet). Personally I have never short shucked a shell, The action was a bit stiff when it was brand new but that has been fixed. It may not be the most expensive gun but I would trust my life to it in a HD scenario. Also I was amazed at how simple it was, taking it apart and cleaning it is no sweat. Oh and in case you were wondering, the maverick 88 is a cost effective version of the mossy 500, the safety is on the trigger guard which will probably be more familliar to you anyway. Yes, it is a plastic safety but it is durable enough (i don't plan on banging the safety on a rock anytime soon). Or if you want a true evil HD gun you can buy the Mav and order the 18.5 inch barrel from mossberg and put a PG or folding stock on it. All for less than the cost of an 870. (I think, barrel:75, PG:15, Folder:40)