The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 20, 2012, 08:48 PM   #1
darkgael

Stevens Gold Wing

A fellow in my gun club just won a set of four NIB Stevens 512 Gold Wing shotguns (12, 20, 28,.410).
He wants to sell the set as opposed to selling each gun individually.
This post is not an offer to sell or to broker a sale. He asked me if I had a sense of what to ask. He is thinking of two grand.....that seems to be a pretty generous (as in low) price but I am not familiar with this model SG.
Comments welcome.
Pet
Old September 21, 2012, 01:34 AM   #2
TheKlawMan

First, is it really a set if the serial numbers don't match?
Old September 21, 2012, 04:44 AM   #3
darkgael

?

Dunno. Could be just four new shotguns.
Pete
Old September 21, 2012, 12:49 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

This is what I think Pete. I assume this is the Model 512 Gold Wing. If so, they go for $649 for a 12 gauge/28: barrels on Gander Mountain (sold out) to $599 on Bass Pro for a 28/26" barrels gauge. They are a Turkish made. I see that some people have no problem with them and some were junk out of the box.

My guess is that this is not a gun that someone with $2,000 is going to spend to collect all four gauges, when there are so many new quality semi autos they could have for the same money or less (with warranty). Warranty could be very important on these guns which is one plus since they are marketed as Stevens, but does the warranty extend to anyone buying from your friend?

A new Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 or a higher end used O/U could also be had for that kind of money.

I would parcel them out. As we know, there are a lot of newer shooters looking for a (as in one) over/under for $500.
Old September 22, 2012, 03:19 PM   #5
PetahW

I can tell you that I bought a new .410 that, while it never gave any real trouble, was a POS compared to any of my other guns.

Since I'm VERY friendly with a local FFL, I only paid $525 (new) for it - but took quite awhile to break even, when I decided to get rid of it (happily).

Old September 22, 2012, 07:55 PM   #6
darkgael

Thanks

Good points. I will convey these to the fellow with the guns..
Pete