The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 3, 2011, 01:28 PM   #1
horseman308

holster advice

I've got my new STI Trojan and now I need a holster for it. First off, the purpose is going to be almost entirely range and occasional IDPA matches. If I decide to carry concealed, I'll be getting a leather IWB holster. But right now, I want something OWB that will meet criteria for IDPA. I realize that limits things some.

Next issue is price - I don't want to spend more than $70-80. While I want a good one, as I said, I won't be carrying everyday so I won't need something super-special or custom or whatever.

Finally, like everybody else, I would like to avoid unnecessary wear on the finish. I realize it's going to happen, especially on the blued finish. To a point, that's nice - it gives character. But this pistol was a gift from my family to commemorate finishing my doctorate, so I will also baby it some.

Here are some holsters I've considered at various price points that caught my attention.

1. Bianchi Evader - Pros: cheap ($25), probably durable (ballistic nylon), probably won't wear the finish as much as Kydex (I hope). Cons: don't know how usable the retention system really is, open muzzle design could be an issue for damage if I'm careless (which is not unheard of, despite my best intentions). Of course, this one's cheap enough I'd almost be willing to buy it just to see how it works, and if I don't like I won't feel to bad about replacing it.
http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...xtModelID=4584

2. Safariland 567 or 568 - Pros: cheapish ($40-50), durable (leather with suede lining), probably wouldn't wear as much as kydex. Cons: I'm pretty sure the forward cocking serrations on the Trojan would tear up the suede lining quickly; don't know anything about how well retention works
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=567

3. Galco Combat Master - Pros: likely very durable, nice looking, high quality company, I assume good retention. Cons: Top of price range ($80)
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...D=157&GunID=28

4. Comp-Tac Minotaur Gladiator - Pros: very durable, assume great retention, apparently a good company. Cons: Top of price range ($85)
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info...roducts_id=101

You'll notice that all of these are open-top designs. Is it worth considering one with a thumb-break? Also, with the Gladiator (or any other Kydex holster), I know it's hard plastic and can cause wear faster. I heard about someone lining his holster with moleskin to reduce that. Anybody else tried that, and if so, how did it work?
Old November 3, 2011, 05:34 PM   #2
horseman308

Any body got thoughts on these (or any other) holsters? I may not have actually mentioned that I was interested in others' opinions. Thanks!
Old November 3, 2011, 05:48 PM   #3
pax

No to the thumb break, since it's just for range use and competition. For competition, you don't want anything that will slow you down.

Avoid collapsible nylon. Stiff nylon's okay, but then you will have to get one with a thumb break for safety, and see above about "slow you down." I'd scratch nylon off my list unless I were really short of scratch.

From your list above, I'd go for either the Galco or the Minotaur.

Given your requirements, I'd be looking at slide holsters. Minimalist designs like the Yaqui slide & other slides seem to put less wear on the gun, all things being equal; they also tend to be more affordable.

Avoid anything that says "fits belts up to 1 3/4" or "up to 1 1/2" -- you want one that actually fits one specific size well, or that can be adjusted to fit that one size. If the belt attachment is bigger than the belt, the holster will move a lot when you draw. That slows you down and it's uncomfortable. So try to find something that is designed to fit the belt size you will wear with it.

pax
Old November 3, 2011, 05:55 PM   #4
pax

Forgot to add, about wear patterns:

AVOID liners. They're great at first, but they attract dust & grit, which means they eventually turn into fine-grain sandpaper to take your finish right off.

Kydex tends to wear sharply on just a few points.

Leather gives a more gentle wear, but it wears everywhere.

Pick your poison. If you use the gun out of a holster, that will affect the finish no matter what you do. Start using the word "patina," as in, "I enjoy the well-worn patina on a gun someone has used a lot."

pax
Old November 3, 2011, 06:12 PM   #5
BigJimP

Nylon is junk ...and so is Kydex ....so don't go down those paths..

Leather ( to fit the gun specifically - for a 5" 1911 or whatever it is you have from STI ) is the only way to go ...and horsehide is better than cowhide generally. My favorite is Kramer Leather ...but unless you find something used ...its a little out of your price range ( $ 120 or so ).

http://www.kramerleather.com/
Check with dealers in your area ...you might find some Kramer holsters. Every now and then you get lucky and find a used one that someone traded in for some reason / or sold a gun with it.

FIST is a company in New York - that I'd recommend you check out. I picked up a revolver holster of theirs at a gunshow recently and I'm impressed. Its cowhide ...but its well made - and heavy.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/Default.htm
They'll have someting in your budget range.
Old November 3, 2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Mrgunsngear

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...products_id=44

I have two of the holsters above and they're great. They can be found at amazon for under $40 with shipping. They're a quality molded holster and I've used Don Hume leather holsters for over 15 years and never had an issue with them.
Old November 3, 2011, 08:48 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

moved to appropriate forum
Old November 5, 2011, 05:56 PM   #8
shooter_john

Quote:
Nylon is junk ...and so is Kydex ....so don't go down those paths..
While I can agree with the statement about nylon, I would LOVE to hear why Kydex is junk and is unsuitable for a holster material. In my opinion the only area that leather is superior to Kydex is cosmetics. I'll take performance and durability over looks ANYDAY.

I've yet to ever need to oil, rub, or do any other routine maintenance on any Kydex holster other than check screw tension. And I've also never heard of Kydex causing a negligent discharge, though I have seen it (recently) with a leather holster. I don't use or recommend any holster material other than Kydex.
Old November 6, 2011, 01:35 AM   #9
farmerboy

Don Hume. Jit Slide. Leather, my personal favorite