The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 7, 2000, 05:35 PM   #1
Big Bunny

We had a difficult problem with irregular ignition on a 40S&W over the weekend ...tracked to a 38Spl shell-holder being used for priming, [not bad priming gear or method as we thought.]
After being a bit incredulous...I was surprised to find that it was an easy mistake for an older member, as the newer .40 did fit(with a bit of slop) and the small pistol primer was seated, but on a small angle and was consequently not always 100% reliable.

Just a small cautionary note for FL members.

Perhaps to avoid this oversight, if one loads more than one calibre, is to always REMOVE the previous shell-holder - so you have to check you have the right one next time !

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old May 7, 2000, 05:41 PM   #2
SKR

That's not an "easy" error...it's a "careless" error.
Old May 7, 2000, 11:27 PM   #3
NJW

Interesting thing to note. When I reloaded 10mm (there was no 40 S&W back then) back in 1988, the reccomended shellholder was the #1 for the 38 special. I guess they eventually made them specifically for the 40/10 later but originally the #1 was the closest thing you could get.

NJW in AZ
Old May 9, 2000, 04:10 AM   #4
deguello

i keep the shellholder in the plastic box with the dies for that caliber.
i guess that's one advantage for having to constantly swap everything on a single stage press
Old May 10, 2000, 06:39 PM   #5
Big Bunny

Thanks all...NJW - now that was interesting about the 10mm, as the 40S&W has same head.

Sure the #1 fits OK, but on this particular one there must have been a few thou excess "slop" and with the hand tool used and tight pocket and thin rimmed new Winchester cases, our older member had 6 out of 250 fail to ignite due to consequent poor seating.

Second shot reload cured the initial problem, but with an auto it was an annoying stoppage.......just as well we were shooting at targets for practice!!

Thanks for all your comments and advice, as usual FL is the best!

------------------
***Big Bunny***