The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 22, 2005, 10:22 AM   #1
LewsTherin

Western Field Model 565-F

Hello,
I have an older shotgun that I have used for years for plunking around with. I am going to duck hunt locally this year and dusted the old gun off and started looking for some information on it. So far I have found very little to nothing. I am trying to find out the choke style as there is nothing on the barrel noted at all. Also trying to see if it will do steel shot ok. Any information would be appreciated!

Markings: Western Field Model 565-F
Barrel : Proof Tested 12 Gauge
-- 2 3/4 inch chamber --
Two stars stamped in the barrel a letter S and a key mark and the numbers 163

Underside of barrel: 12G 56 G

There is no indication of a changeable choke. If I remember correctly dad said the gun was purchased from Montgomery Ward and I would guess in the early 70s.

TIA!!
Old November 22, 2005, 12:45 PM   #2
Steven Mace

LewsTherin, I believe your Western Field Model 565-F is the same as a Noble Model 60 shotgun. Western Field was a trade name used Montgomery Wards on a variety of firearms. The Nobel Model 60 was made from about 1955-1965. This is definitely a field grade shotgun and would be considered a shooter versus a collectable. These typically had a full choke if not adjustable. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old November 22, 2005, 01:26 PM   #3
LewsTherin

Thank you much for the information.
The gun pictured is the same as I have! The old girl has been through a bit over the years and has hunted well. It felt like it was probably a full choke as it necks down quite a bit when u run the swab up it. You can feel the resistance at the muzzle. Just have to put a dowel in the mag to make it legal for ducks here and away I go!

Oh it should be ok for the steel shot you think?

Thanks!
Brandon
"LewsTherin"
NC9I