The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 4, 2009, 07:34 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Ruger P345 hammer spring replacement

A question was PM'd to me here and I'd thought I'd share the response.

Quote:
How do you change out the hammer spring on my Ruger P345? I ordered the 19lb rated springs from Wolff but I'd like to know how to install it.
With the finger off the trigger, remove the magazine, empty the firearm. Disassemble. Cut and paste this link and study the drawing:

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR...ual_safety.pdf

Part 52 is punched out. Then everything comes apart from the bottom. I'd get a spare Part 52 (Hammer Seat Pin) and cut it or file it flush with Part 48 (Hammer Seat). You're making a "slave" pin and this will make reassembly easier. Reassemble it using the new spring and the slave pin. Drop the assembly in and drive out the slave pin with the original Hammer Seat Pin (Part 52).

Now, the person didn't ask, but I advise against replacing the spring. I hate aftermarket springs and will not install them into police service weapons. Factory springs are designed to work with a wide range of ammunition. When you drop in these aftermarket springs, you compromise the reliability of the firearm and it's ability to use that wide range of ammo.
Old August 4, 2009, 07:23 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Gary wrote:

"When you drop in these aftermarket springs, you compromise the reliability of the firearm and it's ability to use that wide range of ammo."

+1 on that. Also "trigger jobs" almost always reduce or eliminate the ability of the gun to function in adverse conditions, like dirt or cold. If the gun will never be used except on a range, fine, but I, like Gary, refuse to lighten springs on a duty weapon.

Jim