The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 18, 2002, 12:46 PM   #1
SDC

Richardson Industries "Guerrilla Gun"?

Does anyone out there know anything about an odd shotgun I just ran across? It's clearly based on a Paltik-type "slam-bang", with a sliding barrel and a fixed firing-pin, but the stock is branded with "Richardson Industries East Haven, Conn." on one side and "Guerrilla Gun" on the other. Chambered for 12 gauge with a 24" barrel, and a screw-in "safety" on the right side of the receiver. Ideally, I'd like to know a little about the company that made this thing, and when they were in operation. Thanks for any pointers.
SDC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-001f.jpg (81.7 KB, 853 views)
Old November 18, 2002, 03:59 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Rather basic, isn't it?

This reminds me of an article I read in Soldier of fortune magazine sometime during the 1980s concerning "Guns of the Philippene Guerrillas," or something of the sort. One of the drawings illustrated something very similar to your image.

Best,
Johnny
Old November 18, 2002, 04:43 PM   #3
fed168

J. David Truby wrote a book about improvised weapons. That gun was in it, and to back Johnny up, it did come from the Philippines. It was the idea of a US soldier working over there, worked well for them, and he tried to bring the idea back here. Don't think it worked too well.
Old November 18, 2002, 05:38 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

IIRC, the Flips made a lot of improvised shotguns during the Resistance days. The idea was to obtain a new shiny Jap Army rifle with one of these "Palantids", and then to pass the zipgun on to the next Freedom Fighter.Two pieces of irrigation pipe, a nail, and a shell.Stocks were optional.

One OSS type who had worked with the Flips tried to make these as a commercial venture once back in the states. Sort of the ultimate truck gun, or maybe a disposable "Bic" shotgun.

In a world where lots of former GIs were putting their discharge pay into model 12s,31s and A-5s, the idea failed to capture any market share.

HTH...
Old November 19, 2002, 03:39 AM   #5
Abaddon

Ever read "No Remorse" By Tom Clancy?

In this book a similar gun was used to whack a drug dealer. In this case, however, the barrel was significantly shorter and the stock was not there. The idea was that it was a "shotgun" that could be concealed very easily. Could be very effective in some circumstances

Jeff
Old November 19, 2002, 09:18 AM   #6
HarryB

If I recall, the Clancy gun was actually a "bangstick" used by divers as shark defence.
Old November 19, 2002, 06:55 PM   #7
Abaddon

Harry

That's right, I didn't remember what it was called.

Didn't realize it was for sharks, but it makes sense. It was fired by ramming the barrel into the target.
Old August 20, 2008, 09:49 PM   #8
asnider123

This looks like an interesting home shop project. Assuming it met the 18 inch barrel / 26 inch min overall ATF requirements, is there any reason one could not product a single piece for their own personal use?
Old August 20, 2008, 09:54 PM   #9
ISC

around here alot of folks use bang sticks to kill gators. It allows you to keep a safe distance but still have a contact shot and if it falls in the lake and gets lost or rusted you just make a new one.