The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 23, 2013, 12:15 PM   #1
cmdc

Marlin XT 22MR

I just got one with synthetic stock, and was wondering if anyone has one and what your thoughts are on the rifle.

Thanks
Old January 23, 2013, 12:47 PM   #2
L_Killkenny

Good time to ask AFTER you got it !

How about this, go shoot it and let us know what you think.
Old January 23, 2013, 01:07 PM   #3
cmdc

Ha. Funny. I have a bad habit of getting something and asking for opinions later. I will eventually do that, but was just wondering if anyone had Zny experience with them.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:30 PM   #4
aarmel732

I have an XT22 with a boyds evolution stock. It was pretty good with the wood stock it came with, but once the barrel was free floated, it became great. It shoots anything, but seems to be very accurate with CCI minimags, and winchester super X. It does "OK" with federal bulk and remington bulk. Seems the faster velocities help it shoot more accurate. When I changed stocks I took the screws for the trigger almost all the way out and adjusted down to the lightest trigger pull possible. The bolt action was notchy and a little gritty, but over 1000 rounds, it has smoothed out pretty nicely. I am not sure if yours is a bull barrel or a sporter barrel, mine is a sporter, and it works great with the cheap barska scope I have on it. Reliable, fun accurate, and fairly cheap.....for me...perfect.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:57 PM   #5
cmdc

Mine is the 22" sporter barrel. When I got mine, yesterday, they had one with the wooden stock as well, but I opted for the synthetic one.
Old January 23, 2013, 04:15 PM   #6
alex0535

I have a .17 HMR older sibling of this line, model is a 917v but I think it became the XT-17v with the addition of the pro-fire adjustable trigger.

Mine is a bull barrel and the trigger is different.

This all being said, once I got the trigger down to a pull that I liked. This used rifle produces 1/4" groups at 75 yards. Ragged single hole groups. Accuracy, in my opinion is outstanding.

Read the manual and figure out how to adjust that trigger, its probably set much higher than it really needs to be.
Old January 23, 2013, 05:01 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

I have an older version, the 882SS. It's one of my favorite rifles. (Was THE favorite, until a 77/22 came into the mix.)
The newer triggers (like yours) are far better than what mine had from the factory.
My rifle is most accurate with 40-50 gr bullets, but shoots most loads fairly well.

If you anticipate finding yourself in a situation where you'll be carrying the rifle a lot with a sling, buy one or two of the 4-round magazines for it. They don't stab you in the back, like the 7-rounders. Marlin usually has a really good sale on them, on their website, some time between March and June every year. --A few years ago, the 7-rounders were half price and the 4-rounders were discounted plus 'buy one get one free', with $3 shipping.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:16 PM   #8
cmdc

Thanks, guys.