The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 31, 2014, 07:01 PM   #1
USCG

S&W 629 Short Cylinder and timing issue

I am currently trying to get my 629 (I think it is a -4, maybe later, I will check this weekend) ready for market to fund the purchase of a new toy, but at the moment there are a couple of issues that must be addressed (I won't sell a gun that I believe is even remotely unsafe). My current issue/ question is that the cylinder looks to be a bit short, I don't know if this is normal for the models without the recessed cylinders, but when you point the muzzle upwards (following safety rules of course), most of the cartridges will move rearward 1/32"-1/16".
My other more pressing issue is that when shooting magnum rounds the cylinder will lock up (it unlocks if you turn it back 1/16" or so most of the time) but it cycles normally with specials.

As far as I can tell the trigger was tuned before I bought it (it breaks at 3lbs. ish)
FNH SPR A1, Colt H-Bar Elite A-3, Custom Lightweight AR, Troy M1A NM, Springfield 1917, Remington 1100 TAC2, Ithaca 37 Lightweight, Springfield M6 Scout, S&W 332 Airlite, Model 629, Model 657-3, Model 10, Model 686, Model 500 6.5" Lew Horton/ PC Compensated Hunter , marlin .22, Ruger 10/22, Puma M92 carbine .44 16"bbl w/ over-sized loop., Sig Trailside .22, Ruger MKI, Savage 1903, Springfield XD-S, Custom 1911, Ruger 44/96

Tags
cylinder , magnum , revolver , s&w , timing