The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 6, 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
rjbuilder

NOPD Beretta 92FS

A frend of mine is looking to buy a Beretta 92FS with NOPD and a number stamped into the frame next to the serial number. These firearms were issued several years ago to the New Orleans Police Dept. They were traded later for Glocks. I have one of the Berettas and my friend is looking for one also. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old April 7, 2013, 07:04 PM   #2
blackamos

http://www.armslist.com/posts/661714...police-stamped
Old April 7, 2013, 07:53 PM   #3
PSP

NOPD? I'd wonder how long it was under water.
Old April 8, 2013, 10:34 AM   #4
ShipWreck

Quote:
NOPD? I'd wonder how long it was under water.
Old April 8, 2013, 10:55 AM   #5
LSP972

NOPD traded the Berettas for Glock 17s before Katrina.

As an interesting aside, a former NOPD 92F was used in a homicide in Kalifornia, circa 2005 or so, which caused a HUGE sh^t-storm. Never mind that it had been properly "accounted for"- all legal paperwork had been transacted, etc.; it was a former police gun and the hand-wringers came out of the wood work, bleating about "How could this happen???"

IIRC, the individual who purchased it from the vendor who made the swap was quickly tracked down, and had sold the pistol to another individual, where of course the trail went cold.

But one aspect of the fall-out impacted me negatively. Our colonel went total knee-jerk and ordered the immediate turn-in of all seized weapons that had been adjudicated, assigned to the department, and issued out. I had a cherry Glock 17, taken from a drug mule, that I was planning to purchase from the department upon retirement. So much for that idea.

I was still able to purchase my issue Sig; but all the seized guns were destroyed. In addition to that G17, I had a really nice S&W M-12 AirWeight snubby. It went to the furnace too...

Old April 8, 2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Pilot

Maybe police departments and other agencies should stop marking their handguns so that they wouldn't get bad PR from the sheeple, and the sheeple media.
Old April 8, 2013, 04:12 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

David Olhasso...

Top match shooter & pistol-smith David Olhasso, www.olhasso.com is well known for Beretta series 92/96 models & the PX4 Storm.
He can look over or fix up the LE trade in Beretta pistol(s).
Robar NP3+ or Bearcoat; www.bearcoat.com & a few treated Beretta pistol magazines would be a smart move if you plan to tote the NOPD pistol around the Big Easy.

Black-T is popular too. www.black-t.com .

CF
Old April 8, 2013, 04:34 PM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP972
...a former NOPD 92F was used in a homicide in Kalifornia, circa 2005 or so, which caused a HUGE sh^t-storm. Never mind that it had been properly "accounted for"- all legal paperwork had been transacted, etc.; it was a former police gun and the hand-wringers came out of the wood work, bleating about "How could this happen???"... IIRC, the individual who purchased it from the vendor who made the swap was quickly tracked down, and had sold the pistol to another individual, where of course the trail went cold.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this situation compounded by some local idjit politician making a statement that former NOPD Berettas would be "kept off the streets forever" or something like that, when in reality the NOPD had only made Glock promise not to sell them in Louisiana or the immediately adjacent states?
Old April 8, 2013, 05:38 PM   #9
DaleA

Quote:
-a former NOPD 92F was used in a homicide in California
If I was a cartoonist I would have the idiot politicians huddled about the NOPD gun pointing at the NOPD letters screaming "The Horror! The Horror!" while rational Joe and Jojette (you know, the common folk) walking by and saying under their breath "The stupidity. The stupidity."

Makes me appreciate Ted Nugent's quote about how he likes it when people say stupid things because then we know who the stupid people are.