The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2013, 07:29 PM   #1
coachteet

Is it a good buy?

A guy locally is selling an unopened 4 lb container of Unique for $90. Would you guys pull the trigger, or try and haggle? Right now I am accumulating components, totally newb toreloading. But from what I have read, it seems the consensus on Unique is that it is a versatile powder, dirty, but a little goes a long way. Thanks for the help.
Old February 15, 2013, 07:40 PM   #2
USMC EOD

I use Unique in .45 ACP (typically 6.0 grains behind a 230 grain jacketed bullet), and it works well for me. The last batch I bought was a 4 pound jug at a gun show for about $65 or $70 (if memory serves me correctly) about two months ago. It sounds a little bit like someone is price gouging.
Old February 15, 2013, 07:45 PM   #3
YARDDOG(1)

IF you can find it,,, On the net you'll pay hazmat,, So not bad as long as you can't by a LGS..JMO
Y/D
Old February 15, 2013, 08:11 PM   #4
serf 'rett

I would buy it at that price...

You didn't mention what you are planning on loading. I use Unique in 9mm, 40S&W and will be testing in 45ACP if the slow boat ever gets here from eastern Europe with the on order XDm.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:40 PM   #5
WaywardSon

I think that's a little on the high side, but not really what I would call gouging in this market. I just passed on an 8 lb. keg for $169 at the LGS. He had three. They are gone
Old February 15, 2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Mac Sidewinder

From a local gun shop with no hazmat - yeah buy it. If you order online you'll pay $28 hazmat fee, so if you're not ordering alot more then it's not worth it.

Mac
Old February 15, 2013, 10:43 PM   #7
coachteet

9mm, 40, 45acp, 38/357.
Old February 15, 2013, 11:42 PM   #8
serf 'rett

Unique works for your listed calibers.
Online example- Powder Valley
4 pounds - $58.70
Hazmat - $27.50
Shipping - $9.95
Old February 16, 2013, 05:22 AM   #9
Sevens

Personally, I hate that stuff. It's wildly popular. It's popularity is certainly NOT why I hate it, but I do hate it.

Hodgdon Universal is a competing product that works anywhere Unique does (different load data) so I use Universal. Last eight pounder I bought cost me $110 plus tax. Of course, that was before our industry turned upside down and everything became so difficult.

This situation right now puts SOME people in to tough positions -- having to make tough decisions. But you are talking about a powder that goes for around $20 a pound in a normal market. In a 4-pound container, there should be a discount from 4x1 lb'ers.

There's nothing about that offer that I like. You might be forced in to it, however.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:17 AM   #10
CrustyFN

A 4 pound bottle at Powder Valley is $58. Even with the hazmat it's cheaper on-line. I would try to talk him down.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:45 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's $22.50 a pound, which is a bit more than what I'm seeing at gunshows in Northern Virginia.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.