The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 21, 2005, 08:38 AM   #1
fawcettlee

Sorry. Just visiting from the Handguns forum. But I'm a bit

confused with the different types of shotguns mentioned here.
Field, trap and skeet guns... What is the differnce. Someone mentioned shot pattern going in a certain way for trap... different stock, etc.
Is there any such thing as an all-arounder shotgun? I've been toying with the idea of trying skeet with a good friend but I'm confused as to what to use for what???
Much thanks.
Old January 21, 2005, 10:16 AM   #2
HunterTRW

You raise an interesting question.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as an all-purpose shotgun (at least I haven't found it yet!). Shotguns typically are designed to perform specific tasks, for example: upland bird hunting, slug-shooting, duck hunting, and Trap-shooting. The gun that would be ideal for quail in Georgia most probably might dissapoint were you to attempt to use it on ducks in Arkansas. Similarly, the slug-gun with the rifled barrel would be nearly useless on the Trap field.

Having said that, there is some crossover: many shooters use their upland guns to shoot Trap or Skeet because the clay targets thrown in those sports mimic the flight of game birds. However, as a general rule the more passionate most sportsmen and women become about a particular type of shotgun sport, the more they want a gun that will enable them to perform their best, thus the various types of shotguns. The best analogy I can make is having the right tool for the job at hand.

If you are truly interested in shotgunning, then I urge you to visit your local gun shop and talk with the owner about the various types of guns he/she has on display. Compare an upland gun with a duck gun, or a Trap gun with a slug-gun. Sometimes the differences are obvious, othertimes subtle, but as you look and ask questions you will begin to see them, then you can choose the gun that is right for you.

Good luck, and good shooting!
Old January 21, 2005, 11:31 AM   #3
P102

All-around shotgun.

There are no "perfect" all-around shotguns but there are many that are very acceptable. Any pump, semi-auto or O/U that has screw in chokes can be used effectively for all shotgun purposes except slugs, a second barrel is recommended for that. Although there are specialized guns for the various shooting sports, a typical "field gun" will work just as well in most instances.
Old January 23, 2005, 03:11 PM   #4
Mannlicher

Funny, for many years, I used my old Remington Model 11 with Poly Choke for just about everything. It did well at skeet, trap, squirrel hunting, deer, duck, goose and rabbit. The old Remington still makes a fair defense weapon. I would call that pretty much an all around shottie.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 23, 2005, 05:26 PM   #5
cal

Same here. Model 12, 16 full choke. No matter what. I guess its better to be able to have the specialization now days. Diversity, ya know.
Old January 23, 2005, 09:10 PM   #6
fawcettlee

So there are different gauges of choke for different applications?

Is it just personal preference or is that aspect of shooting regulated?
I've also read a thread that had someone using a pump shotgun for clay shooting who was pissing off the person next to him with ejecting shells. Is that really a problem?
Is a O/U better, or preferred, for shooting clays?
Old January 24, 2005, 12:18 PM   #7
P102

Chokes, etc....

I ll try to give a short answer.

Chokes, are what constricts the shot as it leaves the barrel, allowing varying degrees of spread. If you are shooting targets or game that will be fairly close you want to use a choke that allows the shot to spread fast, giving a larger pattern, farther away targets call for a choke that keeps the shot from spreading as much so that there are still adequate pellets in the pattern at longer distances. A good example is shooting skeet: Most skeet targets are broken at a distance of 15-25 yards (21 being optimum). A "skeet" choke is normally used as it allows the shot pattern to spread as much as possible (approx. 24-26" at 21 yards, some vary) making it easier to hit the target. If a person were to use a "full" choke, the shot pattern may only be about 6-8", making it much more difficult to hit the target. Thankfully, most guns manufactured today come w/ screw in chokes that are easily changed for varying situations.

As far as pumps vs. semi-autos vs. O/U's, it's mostly personal preference. The semi's and O/U's have a definite advantage when shooting more than one target at a time (skeet, sporting clays, trap doubles) but that doesn't mean a pump cannot be used....a great shooter with a pump will still beat an average shooter w/ the best O/U.