The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 8, 2014, 02:34 PM   #1
baddarryl

Couple of questions about a Walnut stock and Blueing a screw

Hi all. I got a Walnut stock from Numrich that is in real good shape but dirty. A friend told me to clean it with acetone before a light sanding. Is that ok or are there other substitutes?

Good oil for Walnut? Just a plinker and squirrel gun so nothing fancy. I like a natural not glossy look.

What kind of screw accepts bluing best? Stainless, zinc or other.

Thank you.
Old January 8, 2014, 02:53 PM   #2
Old Stony

Steel screws are what you blue. A lot of finishes are appropriate for a walnut stock. I generally prefer Truoil, but others do just as good. After you get good coverage and buildup on the wood, you can lightly wipe it was 0000 steel wool to take the shine off of the surface.
Old January 8, 2014, 07:35 PM   #3
Roughedge

I use 000 steelwool and this http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod5529.aspx
Old January 8, 2014, 11:18 PM   #4
PetahW

I would obtain some Formby's Furniture Refinisher from a good hardware store, along with some OOOO steel wool & follow the directions on the can, to get exactly what you want.

No sanding req'd - just wipe the stock clean with the fluid on an OOOO (fine) steel wool pad (fine steel wool won't leave marks on the wood).

Old January 9, 2014, 05:56 PM   #5
Doyle

Here is a way to simulate bluing on ordinary steel screws: Get some ordinary clean motor oil (dino oil, not synthetic) - only an ounce or so is needed, a pair of long pliers, and a propane tourch. Hold the screw with the pliers and heat the head with the torch until it is as hot as it is going to get (notice I said use propane, not acetylene - you aren't trying to melt it). Then, dunk the hot screw into the oil. When it cools, it should have taken on a nice blackened patena.
Old January 10, 2014, 06:57 PM   #6
baddarryl

BTW I forgot to mention that I already have a bottle of that Outers Blue laying around that I plan to use. Great tip on the oil though!
Old January 12, 2014, 06:46 PM   #7
TINCANBANDIT

I prefer Birchwood-Casey's TruOil, easy to use and you can vary the shine by using steel wool after the finish is dry.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/
Old January 31, 2014, 10:52 PM   #8
baddarryl

Cleaned it with old fashioned Murphy's Oil Soap which worked great. Then I used the Tru Oil and love it. Funny, I used that Outers Gun Blue after I had to bore out the trigger guard I put on to work and it blued very nicely. It did not however work on a stainless wood screw. What do I need to get for that to work on? Here is how the stock turned out. This pic does not do it justice.

Last edited by baddarryl; January 31, 2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old February 1, 2014, 01:28 AM   #9
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Stainless won't blue with any cold blue that I am aware of, only a certain type of hot caustic bluing designed for it will touch it, or black chrome plating. You might find a smith who does this, and wait until he's going to run a batch of SS guns, and let him throw it in the bath. Otherwise, black paint.
Old February 1, 2014, 09:45 AM   #10
Doyle

Take that stainless screw to a really good hardware store and see if you can match it up with a steel screw. If not, have them measure the thread size and length and you can easily pick one up on the internet.
Old February 1, 2014, 11:17 AM   #11
PetahW

R U sure the woodscrew's stainless ?

Remember: "All that glitters, is not gold".

I would sand or file the screw metal somewhere, then hit it with cold blue - I'd wager it's not made of stainless steel (very unusual), but has chrome/cadmium/nickle/bright plating, with blueable steel undeneath.

Old February 2, 2014, 02:08 PM   #12
jmr40

Just paint the screw heads black. A lot easier than trying to blue and will probably look better.