The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 15, 2012, 12:19 AM   #1
171raven

.22 hyper velocity in semi autos

i know that hyper velocity ammo is not recomended in semi autos but my question is, is it just not ideal or is it actually bad(for the gun) to use it? i want to use hyper but i dont want to screw up my gun(once i buy it, im either getting a ruger 10/22 or marlin 795)

Last edited by 171raven; June 17, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old June 15, 2012, 01:21 AM   #2
10-96

I'm of the opinion that it's bad for the firearm. Most receivers now are made of a softer or brittle alloy. Your bolt is heavier and harder steel. When a ctg is designed to squirt out the noisy end with more oomph- so does the casing find their urges to exit the receiver with greater oomph... which cycles the bolt back with greater oomph than for which the rifle was designed to handle much of. Some models such as the Marlin 60 has/had a polymer type buffer, even they crack and fall apart over time.

I'm guessing it's the same reasoning above that made such a commotion with the manufacturers of the .17HMR ammo. A great many of them added warnings to their boxes advising not to fire that ammo in semi auto rifles. I'm also guessing that's why one seldom sees near as many conversion packages to convert .22mags to .17HMR and .22LR to .17 Mach II's.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 15, 2012, 09:22 AM   #3
CCCLVII

as a person that owned a failed Remington 597 in 17HMR I can tell you that there is a reason they recalled the 17HMR for semiautos and it has nothing to to with reliability. It has to do with product safety.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372351 This thread talks about it

as far as hyper velocity 22lr, ask the manufacturer of they gun if they can handle it.
Old June 15, 2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For most, I'm guessing, it has to do with the stiffness of the recoil spring. I know that the first models of the Colt Woodsman pistols function best with standard velocity ammo, and that the hammering from high-speed will eventually cause undue wear.

A stiffer spring would likely alleviate the problem--but the downside could be that the rifle wouldn't cycle properly with standard speed ammo.
Old June 15, 2012, 09:58 AM   #5
essohbe

Quote:
For most, I'm guessing, it has to do with the stiffness of the recoil spring
Yep.

I have 3 different springs for my 10-22, one 10% weaker, a normal one, and a 10-20% stronger one.

It cycles the hyper velocity 22's but the action seems like it's "timed" a little off, lol.
Old June 15, 2012, 12:33 PM   #6
buckhorn

.22 hyper in semi-autos

I liked Yellow Jackets from the day they came out. I used them exclusively in my marlin 60 for several years. They were louder, had a little kick, and knocked a squirrel off the tree, he didn't just fall down. Well, I learned my lesson when my 60 quit working when I was shooting a racoon on my barn roof. I took it apart and the plastic recoil buffer was in pieces all over inside my gun. I bought a new recoil buffer fron Brownell's but it was the same plastic. No, I would stick to standard velocity .22's. And changing the recoil spring in a 60 is darn near impossible, so that's out of the question for me.

Last edited by buckhorn; June 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old June 17, 2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Rogervzv

Out of curiosity, what velocity constitutes "hyper-velocity?" Thanks.
Old June 17, 2012, 10:51 PM   #8
171raven

Rogervzv
i dont know i just read the box
Old June 18, 2012, 11:32 AM   #9
buckhorn

.22 hyper velocity is about 1,500 fps with a 35gr. bullet. Standard .22's are about 1,000 fps with a 40 gr. bullet. Hyper velocity rounds are .22 magnum territory. A revolver may handle them, but anything with a recoil spring and buffer is going to suffer. If you have a semi-auto, stick with standard velocity rounds, rifle or handgun. You can hear the difference, one goes bang, the other goes BANG!!!!
Old June 18, 2012, 11:40 AM   #10
buckhorn

Just make sure it says "standard" velocity on the box.
Old June 18, 2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Odds are, in modern semi-autos, either standard velocity or "regular" high-speed will not be any problem. Probably should give some thought or maybe ask the manufacturer about using the seriously hot stuff...
Old June 18, 2012, 08:29 PM   #12
Rogervzv

Most of the stuff I shoot is 1260 or so. Thought that was about average.
Old June 18, 2012, 10:38 PM   #13
Bamashooter

I have rarely shot anything under 1250fps or so and my older 10/22 is still thumping along. I bought it in the late 80's. I shoot alot of stinger and velocitor ammo but mostly the mini mags. I dont think there are many semi autos that will have a problem with these types of ammo.
Old June 18, 2012, 11:23 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Standard, High Velocity, & Hyper....

Over time, things have changed. The original velocity loading of the .22LR is now called "standard" or sometimes "target".

The 'high velocity" loading (in the 1200fps range) has become the basic "standard" (meaning the most common) found. The actual load varies a bit, with different brands. Remington Golden bullets are my classic "standard", with CCI Mini Mags being a bit hotter.

THe developement of light weight (less than 40gr) bullets and increased velocity meant that they had to come up with a new name, since High Velocity had already been used, so it became "Hyper Velocity". Stingers, Yellowjackets, Vipers, etc.

All blowback actions are balancing acts. Weight (mass) of the bolt/slide, & spring tension vs recoil thrust from the case during firing. Some guns will operate well enough with hotter ammo than they were designed for, but they are under a strain. Others actually get battered and eventually break from ammo that is hotter than originally designed for.

Keep the hyper stuff in manually operated actions, and its rarely a problem. IN semis, especially the older ones, (and the budget ones), hyper speed ammo can be trouble. Trouble is, usually, everything is fine, until suddenly, it isn't. And each gun is different about how many hypers it will eat before getting sick.

No, I won't tell you hyper vel loads will certainly damage your gun, but you increase the odds of trouble when you shoot something the gun wasn't specifically made to handle.
Old June 18, 2012, 11:45 PM   #15
Edward429451

My 10/22 likes Stingers. They shoot good in it. The Mini-Mags shoot better for me but I've not yet chronographed the Mini-Mags. I use a standard recoil spring but do run a nylon buffer for the bolt, so far so good. When/if it falls apart, I'll put in another one. Perhaps a new or stronger spring also now that you guys mention it.

I've always heard how inaccurate and erratic Stingers are but it does not ring true in my 10/22 or my buddys 10" MK II.

10" MK II with Stingers (10 ft - 10 shots)
1516 fps/ 10 avg dev/ 58 es/ 19 sd

18" 10/22 with Stingers (10 ft - 10 shots)
1550 fps/ 10 avg dev/ 45 es/ 15 sd

Tags
.22lr , ammo , rifle