The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 3, 2009, 04:19 PM   #1
38special

cz 52 in 7.62x25

Just picked up a cz 52 at the gun show it's a lot better shooter than i expected, loud but recoil is very manageble, the price of the ammo is irresistable.

after about 70 rounds the trigger hung up and will not drop unless i decock it.
wondering if this is a common problem with these

also what else shoots this round besides the pps43?
Old August 3, 2009, 04:31 PM   #2
DBAR

Great handguns, but I've never had that problem with mine. If no one here can help you, you might want to ck out czforumsite.info. They have a section dedicated to the CZ52.

DBAR
Old August 3, 2009, 05:13 PM   #3
raftman

Well, what else shoots that round is the gun for which it is originally designed. The TT33 pistol, and its various copies (and there are quite a few). PPSh-41, PPD-40, also shot the same round, and various more obscure firearms that you're very unlikely to find.
Old August 3, 2009, 05:38 PM   #4
ZeSpectre

Quote:
after about 70 rounds the trigger hung up and will not drop unless i decock it.
wondering if this is a common problem with these
no, it isn't. I can't think what would cause it to hang like that right at the moment (brain fried after a rough day at work). If I think of anything I'll post.
Old August 3, 2009, 07:11 PM   #5
Chesster

No problems on mine. I did notice the old E European ammo was much hotter than the Norinco.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old August 3, 2009, 07:41 PM   #6
old_ironsights

DIY

The 52 is a cinch to disassemble.

http://www.lonestarfab.com/projects/thecz52/f5_cz52.htm has an excellent schematic and directions.

Take it apart, look around and see if you can figure out the problem yourself. Thats part and parcel of the charm and enjoyment of owning these old guns...
Old August 3, 2009, 08:18 PM   #7
ZeSpectre

Be aware that the nut (#15 in that diagram) is pretty fragile and easy to strip.
Old August 3, 2009, 08:59 PM   #8
ISC

I've always heard that the firing pins are somewhat brittle and dry firing the CZ 52 can break them.
Old August 4, 2009, 09:56 PM   #9
old_ironsights

Replacement firing pins from http://www.gunpartswarehouse.com/cz52.htm are the least expensive ones I've found. They've got other bolt-on stuff, too.
Old September 16, 2009, 07:33 PM   #10
38special

Thanks for the excellant suggestions, i printed off the online instructions for take down and will report back my progress,
Old September 17, 2009, 11:07 PM   #11
BobbyT

Link broken, here's the corrected version. I have the slide release listed:
http://www.gunpartswarehouse.com/cz52.htm

Mine came with both the stock (cast) pin, and a shiny machined one. I'd read of people dry-firing them a hundred or more times with no issue, so I dropped the hammer a handful of times around my apartment while awaiting the ammo.

I then noticed the tip broken off, which surprised me greatly. I didn't find it, and I'm 95% sure I saw a tip on there when I first stripped it, but it's possible it arrived broken and I overlooked it.

I ended up ordering a replacement from Harrington, the very first one that doesn't remove the firing pin safety to lighten the trigger pull, but has the spring to buffer the impact:
http://www.harringtonproducts.com/firing-pins/

I've dropped the hammer a couple dozen times on an empty chamber before and after my first range trip with it, where it shared a box of 70 with a TTC. Neither had a single issue. I expected the CZ to be the better shooter as it's bigger and seems more refined, but the TT has a noticeably lighter trigger and is easier for me to get decent groups with.

As for the trigger hangups, take a look at the safety. One of the guys at the range pointed out that it's very easy to have the safety *almost* all the way down, which adds resistance and roughness to the trigger. Flip it down, then press it down again and see if you get another 10%. Mine stops about 2mm from the grip, and if you press it further will snap down to the grip. I didn't know about this until after I'd finished shooting so next time I'll pay attention and see if it shoots better. I also noticed how easy it is to knock it back up to the "almost" position with my thumb, so I've been holding it with the 2nd bone wrapped over it to hold it down.
Old September 18, 2009, 10:39 AM   #12
DBAR

I replaced my fireing pin, recoil spring, and slide stop before I ever shot it. I visited the web sites, and they all recommended that. By the way, if anyone is looking for one in excellent condition, I have mine listed in the gun show.

DBAR
Old October 6, 2009, 11:14 AM   #13
38special

well I took her apart per the instructions "old_ironsights" was kind enough to post, I expected to find something obvious to be broken like a seer, spring or firing pin but for the life of me i can't find anything wrong with any of the parts I'm going to reassemble and see if it works
Old October 7, 2009, 07:55 AM   #14
old_ironsights

I'd suspect part #45. Also, a compresses spring may be captured.
Old October 7, 2009, 05:12 PM   #15
itman

I have a CZ 52. Really good gun. But the firing pin will go if you dry fire it. Also be careful of the Decocker. CZ 52 has gone off before when Decocking.
Old October 8, 2009, 01:19 PM   #16
LordofWar

If you wany anything in 7.62x25mm stick with Norinco TT-33 or an original Tokarev.

CZ 52 & Zastava are prone to malfunctions.
Old October 8, 2009, 06:20 PM   #17
woad_yurt

I disagree. If one has a CZ 52 that's up to spec, it's a magnificent performer. It does benefit from an upgrade on the firing pin, though.

Every CZ 52 I've seen has been sloppily pinned together. I think that cheesy "re-arsenal" jobs are the main culprits. If one takes the time to restake the pins and swap out the recoil spring & firing pin, one gets a great gun. I have two and they've gone thousands of rounds without a miss.
Old October 8, 2009, 06:24 PM   #18
amd6547

I don't. My CZ52 was a big disappointment. I love my Romanian Tokarev. Better in every way.
Old October 8, 2009, 07:16 PM   #19
LordofWar

woad_yurt,

I think any firearm that doesnt come perfect out of the box is useless.

7.62x25mm is the highest selling calibre in our part of the world. If not in millions I have surely shot hundreds and thousands of 7.62x25 mm rounds as it's the cheapest calibre here.

Again, trust me on this one. If it's 7.62x25mm stick with an original Russian Tokarev (i.e. if you can find one) or a Norinco TT-33.

Moreover if you're in the US or Western Europe or any country where residential construction is not of concrete do not use it for SD/HD.
Old October 10, 2009, 09:35 AM   #20
woad_yurt

I can't get a 7.62 pistol new out of the box. They're all 50 years old.

I also have a '62 Plymouth. I had to do some work to get that thing straight, too. Now, the pistols and the car work as they were intended.

I just get a little upset when folks dump on something without ever having used an example that's up to spec. All of the CZ 52s I've seen had loose pins, for one. A little tweaking is all that's needed. People don't begrudge tweaking a $1200 Kimber, why do so with CZ 52s?

I have one that has only $250 into it, total, and it's a reliable, accurate screamer.

PS: I have a Norinco Tok. That one I did find unfired, in the box, and my CZ 52s are just as reliable and just as (maybe more!) accurate.