The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 4, 2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Norrick

how accurate is a...

browning 1885 single shot rifle chambered in 454 casull?

i know everyone likes the 45-70 but to me it just makes sense to have the same thing (nearly) in a smaller package, and I already have a revolver chambered in this round. I will be reloading.

anyway I was curoius what kind of accuracy can be expected out of this rifle? How far could you reach with this gun? It has a 28" barrel.

I look around and it seems like everyone uses these guns with ladder style tang sights or "malcolm" scopes... which are just.. so... not for me. Is there any way to mount a traditional scope on this gun? Or is that very highly frowned on?

Last edited by Norrick; January 4, 2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: i are is having bad grammar
Old January 5, 2009, 12:34 AM   #2
Scorch

You can buy mounts for it from Leupold for scope mounting. You should be able to hold 2"-3" at 100 yds with factory ammo, possibly better with handloads. With practice, you could shoot 600-1000 yds with the right loads.

FWIW, Winchester High Walls are known for accuracy. They dominated the target circuits in the 1890 and early 1900s. I have seen some very fine old target rifles built on 1885 actions.