The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 13, 2006, 01:31 PM   #1
payne

Shot in my first IDPA Sun!

Man, it was really fun too. i was really nervous the first stage. i think I did ok for never really doing that kind of shooting. i was in the Enhanced Service Pistol catagory. i do believe i won my grouping. Of coures there was only one other person shooting ESP. That was my friend that was new to IDPA also. Both of us shot XD's, thats what put us in the ESP catagory. i don't really get how they classify the XD as a ESP, but oh well. i enjoyed it and i'm going to fill out registraation papers and try to start shooting more matches.

Never shot from a sitting position till yesterday either. situation was you were at a drive up ATM and you had to neutralize 4 targets one with a hostage. Also my first experience with tactical reloads and retention reloads.

i had fun none the less and i would encourage all to check out IDPA shooting.
Old March 13, 2006, 01:45 PM   #2
USNavy_233

Glad to hear it was a good first experience for you. I keep meaning drag my sorry @$S to the next IDPA match here but it never fails, something always seems to come up that day that keeps me from going.
Old March 13, 2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you enjoyed it Payne, but I'm moving this to the competition shooter's forum, where I think you'll get better response .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old March 14, 2006, 06:27 PM   #4
pittbug

It's a blast isn't it?!?! I shot my second IDPA event last Sunday. I love being able to start and shoot in the various positions. I'd never done the weak/strong hand only shooting, so that was quite challenging. I was really happy with my shooting, except for a tap/rack fumble on one of the stages. One thing I learned was if a stage calls for a headshot on a specific target, make sure you take the time to get it, because it's a 5 point failure to neutralize (FTN) penalty otherwise!