The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 11, 2005, 06:28 AM   #1
kraigster414

Remington 870P vs. Benelli Nova Tactical?

Sorry, another comparison question....this time the Remington 870 Police vs. the Benelli Nova Tactical. Pros and cons appreicated. Decisions, decisions! Thanks.
Old May 11, 2005, 08:29 AM   #2
Trip20

I've never used the police or tactical version of either.

But I own both in the regular pump version (whatever that is called).

And I like the Benelli better. I've actually switched to using it for trap because the thing is so damn fit for me. With dual action bars and rotary head locking lugs, the Nova will handle anything from target loads to 3 1/2" magnums. The pump action on my Nova is so much smoother than my 870 that I was able to shoot doubles with it (just for fun) and did really well - compared to guys using semi-autos and o/u's. I looked a bit silly but it was all for fun.

Don't get me wrong, the 870 is definitely a tried and true design and one of the most popular pumps - but wow did Benelli make a well functioning gun that blew my socks off.

Sorry nothing to offer on the tactical side, but I think the action is the same on both versions, among most other things.
Old May 11, 2005, 08:32 AM   #3
Trip20

One last note: The 870 has been around so much longer than the Nova, that there are definitely plenty more accessories and goodies for the 870 than the Nova.... just something to think about.

Realistically you can't go wrong with either.
Old May 11, 2005, 10:51 AM   #4
gordo b.

Haven't found ANYBODY to cut the Nova stock down to a useable HD length(13")
The Nova has a 10pound+ trigger pull, have not found a gunsmith for this either.
That 3.5" shell capability makes for a much longer shuck than an 870, AND the gripping area on a Nova is WAAAAAY forward. makes for too much arm extension !
The factory light mount, which only fits an m-3 illuminator blows, must be mounted in front of the extension mag tube clamp, hard to turn on. If you want a Single point Sling on a Nova you must use a Tactical Tailor one that wraps around the grip.
I WANT to like my Nova, but until I get the stock and trigger issues adressed, I'm sticking to 870's.
Old May 11, 2005, 03:53 PM   #5
Wraith

Hahaha. Nova.

Hahaha. :barf:

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old May 11, 2005, 05:22 PM   #6
Trip20

Wraight - very informative post.

gordo b -
Get a Weaver 423M base for mounting light on top/side of receiver. A friend drilled and tapped it himself so I'm sure a smith can do it with ease. You can cut the stock yourself... it's not that hard. Take a couple simple measurements and then get to work.
Old May 11, 2005, 06:35 PM   #7
K80Geoff

The construction of the Nova means you are stuck with the dimensions that the gun comes out of the box with. You cannot change drop, toe or cast to fit your physique.

With the 870 it is possible to have different stocks for different applications and/ or people.

Add to that the 870 with it's large selection of barrels, and aftermarket triggers and you have the clear winner IMNSHO.

Besides, the 870 is still made here by starving gunsmiths in upstate NY where they are ostracized. Help an american earn a living , buy Remington.
Old May 11, 2005, 07:18 PM   #8
kraigster414

Thanks guys. The stock length of the Benelli makes it a non-starter for me. If it can't be shortened (sorry, I have no desire to do the surgery myself), it's the Rem 870 pure and simple. Otherwise, I think I would opt for the Benelli. Now I just have to find a good deal on an 870P. My dealer can get me one with a wood stock and bead front sight for around $450 but I am going to shop around and there are a few gun shows coming up in July. In the meantime, if you hear about or spot a good deal, please let me know.
Old May 12, 2005, 08:21 PM   #9
gordo b.

The Nova uses a counterbored pad with a lip: ain't NO simple surgery!!!
Old May 13, 2005, 07:35 PM   #10
kraigster414

D--n! All my local gunshops claim their distributors are out on 850Ps. If you know of one for sale in Virginia, I'll go warm up the car.
Old May 20, 2005, 05:44 PM   #11
dgludwig

Nova tactical shotgun

FWIW, apparently due to the relatively "flexible" nature of the Nova's receiver walls, be careful you do not screw a side saddle ammo holder too tightly. It WILL cause a malfunction by warping the receiver walls against the slide mechanism as well as the trigger group... This phenomenon may not be unique to the Nova.
Old May 20, 2005, 06:27 PM   #12
sm

K80Geoff nailed it !