The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 5, 2005, 10:12 AM   #1
melissa ann

Pennsylvania State IDPA Championship - July 2005

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick note to let you know the 2005 Pennsylvania State IDPA Championship is still taking registrations, but we're filling up. The last date to get your registration in is June 10. The match dates are: Saturday and Sunday, July 16 & 17. (You only shoot on one day or the other). We'll have additional match info up on the webpage soon.

Registration forms (pdf) can be downloaded from:
2005 PA State IDPA Championship Registration Form

11 stages, 1 1 low-light, roughly 200 rounds

Hope to see you there.
Melissa
Old May 5, 2005, 11:15 AM   #2
FlyinGN

Im interested. How do I classify myself( never shot in a match before)and what division am I in????
How many mags do I need?? What else do I need to join in on this fun??

Where is this site?? The directions link does not work..

Thanks! Frank
Old May 5, 2005, 01:28 PM   #3
melissa ann

Directions... It's in New Tripoli, a teeny town in the Allentown area. http://www.ontelaunee.org/directions.html (we'll fix the link later this afternoon/evening, someone went in and dropped the "L" in the url...)

Anyway, on to your other questions, Frank.

There are a few classifiers going on the next few weeks, the two that come to mind right now are one in Somerset County NJ on Sunday, May 15, and one at Easton Fish & Game Association on Saturday, May 21.

You have to be a member of IDPA in order to get classified and shoot a majot match, so your first step would be to go to IDPA.com and download an application and send it in with $35 membership fee. Ted, the IDPA Match Director at Easton, may run people through the classifier by appointment at other times before the State Match, as well. www.eastontacticalops.com

Division depends on what kind of gun you shoot. You can find out what division by looking in the IDPA rulebook - www.IDPA.com

How many magazines?? 3, more is better (dont' have to reload mags as often), but you should be able to shoot a match with 3.

Ted has a pretty good "primer" for IDPA shooting on his webpage if you want to check it out. www.eastontacticalops.com "New Shooters Manual for IDPA Shooting" It needs to be updated in a few spots to incorporate a few changes in the new rulebook, but it's still a good start. He's also got some pics and movies and other links from some of our matches and other matches in the area.

*If you don't have Mothers Day obligations on Sunday, there's a match at Blue Ridge Cherry Valley, Sciota PA www.brcv-gun.org for more information. I think they start at 1245. New IDPA shooter meeting at 1230.
*Or on May 15, there's one at Ontelaunee (you can practice finding the range) www.ontelaunee.org - I think they start around 9am.
*We have the classifier on May 21, and our IDPA match on Sunday May 22. We start our matches at 11, new shooter meeting at 1030. www.eastontacticalops.com

Hope this helps.
Melissa
Old May 5, 2005, 03:32 PM   #4
rr4406pak

If I'm coming to shoot in an IDPA tournament from New York, how can I bring my pistols into PA without breaking the Federal Law of crossing state lines with a firearm?
Old May 5, 2005, 06:26 PM   #5
FlyinGN

Thanks Melissa!
Old May 9, 2005, 03:39 PM   #6
ted murphy

There is no federal law against crossing state lines with a firearm. Quite a few New Yorkers come to Pa for shoots all the time.

Gun locked in seperate box, mags unloaded, ammo locked in seperate box.

Ted
Old May 10, 2005, 08:16 AM   #7
rr4406pak

Quote:
There is no federal law against crossing state lines with a firearm.
Ted, That statement is 100% NOT TRUE. Unless Congress and the Senate have passed the National Reciprocity Bill and I did not hear about it.
Other states do recognize your drivers license but every state does not recognize your pistol permit. Just because I have a permit in New York does not automatically mean I can carry a firearm in PA or any other state that does not recognize New York State's CCW permit.

To see which states honor whose permits go to:
http://www.packing.org/states.jsp

In researching this I did find that PA is unique that it has a "Peaceable Journey Law" which states:

18 ยง 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
11. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

So I can drive through PA with a gun in my trunk, but that still does not mean that you can "carry" in PA with a New York permit.
Old May 10, 2005, 10:25 AM   #8
Old Shooter

I don't think Ted is referring to "carry" as in "on your person". You can BRING a gun into another state for the purpose of hunting or target shooting. Typically the gun has to be unloaded, in a locked container and the ammo must be kept separately until you are at your hunting/target shooting destination.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:45 PM   #9
ted murphy

I guess in your rush to post you missed my sentence above about locking up the guns and ammo in seperate boxes. That is rather different than carrying the gun on you or in the car loaded. If you go through pa to a shooting event with your guns and ammo locked up you will not have any problems.

I never said you would not run afoul of state laws, just that the Federal Government has no law against crossing state lines with a gun, which is what a previous poster noted.

Ted