The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2009, 01:42 AM   #1
hedgehog74

HELP 40 S&W 138gr hard cast bullet info

Heres the deal. I got a good deal on some hard cast 40 s&w. The shop owner thought they were 155gr or 180gr but was not sure.

Got home checked them for size, all good there. Weight 138gr.

The closest published info i have for hard cast is 175gr Lyman Bullets (#401638). With bullseye Start load 4.0 max 5.0

Using this as a gide i started at about 3.8 and worked up to 4.5 all seams well but i would realy like some info for 138gr hard cast s&w 40.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old December 22, 2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

3.8 to 4.5? I assume those are grains of powder, but of what powder? That makes quite a difference. So does seating depth. Please measure the length of one of your bullets with a caliper and report that, and also say what cartridge overall length (COL) you are seating to?

As a shortcut, Hodgdon's site has quite a number of 135 grain JHP loads listed. If you can use their COL and knock those loads down about 12%, you will be in the ballpark for cast bullet loads with your slightly heavier weight and softer bullet material.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; December 22, 2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old December 22, 2009, 02:55 PM   #3
hedgehog74

Using alliant bullseye powder 4.5gr, overall lenght 1.130 inches, bullet lenght 0.520 inches, bullet weight 138gr

If I had some hodgdon (clays) i would probably use it insted. I am trying not to push faster than 900fps. Powder is still selling quick around here and at over inflated prices. So if i want a large selection and better prices I have to drive 2 or more hours to Bass Pro.

Last edited by hedgehog74; December 22, 2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old December 22, 2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Based on a 4" barrel (don't know what you have?) QuickLOAD thinks your 4.5 grain load is already at around 900 fps. That's with an ideal chamber and barrel, so YMMV. It is way below maximum pressure at about 14,000 psi according to the computer model.

You could actually load rather warmer if you have function problems? The bullet is not only lighter, but shorter than a 175 grain bullet. If you assume both are seated to 1.300" COL, then the lighter bullet is making more room for powder to burn under it as well as offering less inertial reaction force for burning powder to build pressure against. With the Lee 175 gr TC or SWC, 5 grains of Bullseye runs around 25,000 psi in the simulator. Not maximum from a pressure standpoint, but it may be about as fast as you want to drive a lead bullet? With your shorter, lighter bullet it takes 5.9 grains to generate the same peak pressure prediction. The velocity moves up almost 235 fps from the 4.5 grain load. Again, that's with a 4" barrel.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 22, 2009, 10:42 PM   #5
hedgehog74

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I checked out QuickLOAD. Thats a cool program think I'll download it.

I know I have some new reloading manuals under the tree. I hope the have a little more info than the one I have now. Marry Christmas to all.

Last edited by hedgehog74; December 22, 2009 at 10:49 PM.