The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 18, 2013, 04:39 PM   #26
vito

I misread the post. I thought it said "shooting folks you don't know" so I was about to say, what's wrong with that? That's what we do in combat, and under the right circumstances, it is unambiguous so we know who to shoot at. To shoot WITH strangers, I would just as soon avoid it not knowing who is going to put me in danger through stupid behavior.
Old April 18, 2013, 10:13 PM   #27
Rj1972

I think I'd go with a 2 stage plan. Have most of the "normal" things to shoot with in location A. If things are going really well and these business connections seem to be using safe and polite gun handling skills then I'd bring out the more fun things. I'd probably store them somewhere else so I could choose myself to use them or not based on how it was going. Yes, that's already thinking too much about it. But I'm a "wade into the shallow end and see how it goes first" kind of guy.
Old April 19, 2013, 07:21 AM   #28
45_auto

Quote:
I misread the post. I thought it said "shooting folks you don't know" so I was about to say, what's wrong with that? That's what we do in combat, and under the right circumstances, it is unambiguous so we know who to shoot at. To shoot WITH strangers, I would just as soon avoid it not knowing who is going to put me in danger through stupid behavior.
Combat these days must be a lot different than it used to be when I was in the army.

I pretty much knew at least everybody's name in my company except the new replacements, and that was about it. But the rest of the battalion, brigade, and division I was going into combat with (not even counting air and artillery support) were strangers to me.

I'm really impressed that these days you know everyone you're in combat with that well.