The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 8, 2002, 12:03 PM   #1
DeBee

Custom Stock Inletting

Recently, I saw one of the ACGG rifles- a 1903 Springfield glowing like a gem...

Now, I want to rebuild my 1903 Springfield Express rifle for 2003.

Essentially, I am pleased with the metalwork. A 22" #3 Douglas 30-06 barrel and Control mounts sit on a squared and hand polished high SN # Remington 1903 action. Although the rust blue has no visable wear, it is somewhat splochy and I will probably repolish and re rust. This is the first rifle I built and I know I can do better now...

The main question is: I want to have a blank custom inletted by an individual duplicator instead of ordering and being frustrated by a lousy semi inletted stock...

I understand one finds a throw away stock and glass beds the rifle to it and this gets sent off as the template for the inletting...

Can anyone recommend a custom inletter? Has anyone stocked their gun in this manner? Any experiences, tips, hints, costs, or links would be appreciated...
Old January 25, 2005, 10:40 AM   #2
Harry Bonar

re-stock

Dear Sir:
I've used Boyd semi-inleted stocks for several years and have found them to be excellent!