The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 31, 2010, 01:20 PM   #1
OsageStick

Colt SAA info?

First post and I need some help.

I inherited from my father a 2nd Gen Colt SAA (unfired, still in original box).

Local gun shop thinks grips are not original because they are a plain jane walnut with no Colt medallion. Does anyone know of a reliable online source of Colt info or does anyone know if plain grips could be original? I think they are original.

I guess I could spend $100 to get an archive letter from Colt.

Thanks
Old May 31, 2010, 02:36 PM   #2
dreamweaver

save your money. most of the colt letters don't specify stocks. I'm guessing that you have the 2pc walnut grips, which were available on that gun. post or email me a picture and i'll tell you for sure.
if you give me the serial # i'll tell you when it was made. you can XX the last 2 numbers. don't need 'em.
sounds like the local gun shop is trying to lowball the value of the gun.
jmho

btw, welcome to the forum!
Old May 31, 2010, 04:36 PM   #3
OsageStick

Here it is:

Ser # SA556XX

Thanks
Old May 31, 2010, 04:51 PM   #4
dreamweaver

nice! it was made in 1970, the SA should be after the number.
if the SA is before the number it's a 3 rd gen made 1981
Old May 31, 2010, 05:33 PM   #5
OsageStick

Thanks for the info.
The gun shop told me it was a 2nd generation but it wasn't in the original box (wood grain box should not have a 2nd generation gun).
Well the reason the box "didn't match" is because it's a 3rd Generation so it does match. The serial # and the description is on the end flap of the box.

Thanks again. I'm glad to have this cleared up even though I've decided to keep it rather than sell it.

Last edited by OsageStick; May 31, 2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old May 31, 2010, 06:16 PM   #6
dreamweaver

1976 was the beginning of the 3rd generation guns.
I don't know how well you know that dealer, but either he doesn't know colts too well, or he was trying to steal the gun away from you. there's a considerable difference in price for a NIB vs a LNIB without the original box, even on the 3rd gen guns.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:43 PM   #7
OsageStick

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he doesn't know Colt's that well or can't decipher his book.

To his credit, he suggested I not sell the gun.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:17 PM   #8
hoghunting

I would say the grips are factory as I bought a NIB 3rd generation nickel SAA in 1981 and it has the same grips - no medallion.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:28 PM   #9
Jim Watson

I think the nickel finish is the difference. Many if not most recent nickel plated SAAs have wood grips, few of the blue guns.
Old June 1, 2010, 11:27 PM   #10
hoghunting

Quote:
I think the nickel finish is the difference.
I believe you are correct Jim, as the blue SAA that I bought at the same time has the black rubber grips. Thanks for correcting my lapse in memory.
Old July 30, 2010, 06:21 PM   #11
OsageStick

I am bringing this post back up with another question.

As I said earlier, I inherited this gun from my dad who was meticulous about his guns (competitive bullseye handgun shooter, high power rifle and skeet). I did not know he even had this gun until he died. The box had a note "unfired" and his original receipt.

I am not a collector, in fact I'm primarily a traditional/primitive bowhunter but I enjoy shooting firearms including some other guns I inherited. Now this "unfired" note is bugging me. Am I being stupid to just shoot it? My dad must have thought "unfired" was important but I hate to see it just sit around and eventually passed on to my four daughters who have zero interest in it other than Grandpa owned it.

Am I better off selling it and getting something else that I would feel better about shooting? I've got my eye on a couple of others: SW 686+, maybe a big .44 mag revolver to carry on my dream hunt: Alaskan moose with a bow.
Old July 30, 2010, 10:55 PM   #12
jfrey

If you are going to sell it, unfired would normally get you more money. Since you inherited it, I would shoot it and enjoy the gun. I personally would get some +P 45 Colt loads and forget the .44 mag. The price is going up on all Colt single actions everyday so the longer you keep it the more it is going to be worth anyway. Check out the price on some of those old beat up first generation Colts.
Old July 31, 2010, 06:42 PM   #13
OsageStick

Thanks.
After a little gun sales research and a little soul searching I decided to buy some ammo, keep it and shoot it.

There seem to be so many models and variations of this gun that it would probably be a miserable experience for me to sell it. Besides it has a nice feel to it and my dad would probably want me to enjoy it.