The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2009, 02:12 PM   #1
KMAY

How many times....

How many times can i reload the same brass before i need to start trimming cases? And normally how many times can you reload a case before it isnt safe to reload anymore? In this instance i am talking about Remington 30-06 brass.
Old November 18, 2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Krieger9

question addendum

Also I would like to ask those that load multiple sizes of rifle rounds, do you notice a difference in brass longevity based on a particular calliber? If so is there a pattern?
Old November 18, 2009, 03:18 PM   #3
dmazur

Best answer to "How many times can I reload a case?" is, "It depends."

Case stretch due to resizing shorter than headspace will shorten brass life.
"Hot" loads will shorten brass life.

For mild loads with correct resizing (in bolt rifles), I have heard of 10 reloadings being quite common. When resizing to SAAMI minimum every time the case is resized (for a gas rifle), some shooters limit reloading to 4 times.

Unless you use a special X-Die, trimming is a fact of life. Trimming frequency depends how much below maximum dimension you trim. I have heard of trimming every other time as being common. (However, you should measure all cases after resizing to be safe...) Factory brass occasionally needs trimming, so this isn't something that is a problem only after x reloadings. You have to have a safe length each time you reload a case.

I haven't noticed any difference in .243 and .30-06 in terms of brass life. I believe any caliber can be "hot-rodded" or resized incorrectly, and these are the factors that limit brass life, not bullet diameter.
Old November 18, 2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

"It depends" is the correct answer. Benchrest shooters have reported up to 75 reloadings, with 50 not being uncommon. But, they neck size only and bump the shoulder back just the amount they have to when the case starts to get hard to chamber. They anneal the neck every third or fourth time around to prevent work hardening and resultant splitting.

If you don't anneal the necks and shoulders, figure you could start splitting the necks anytime from about the fifth or sixth loading forward, with normal pressure loads.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 18, 2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Slamfire

Quote:
How many times can i reload the same brass before i need to start trimming cases?
On the first sizing my cases are all over trim length. I trim after each firing.

Quote:
And normally how many times can you reload a case before it isnt safe to reload anymore? In this instance i am talking about Remington 30-06 brass
If you used a cartridge headspace to set up your sizing die, the assumption is that you did not over size your case, and you are not firing the case in a semi auto, then case life is determined by body splits, case neck splits, and primer pocket tightness.

I took one set of 308 brass 22 or 24 reloads. I tossed out cases that had body splits and neck splits. Pockets were loose towards the end.

When I sectioned cases with brass splits, I noticed internal brass erosion in the case head. I noticed this around the 17th reload, I had not been looking for it earlier. I don’t know when the erosion effects case head strength.

I figure ten reloads is a conservative number of reloads with rifle brass.
Old November 18, 2009, 10:29 PM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
How many times can i reload the same brass before i need to start trimming cases?
You must trim when the length of cases reach the maximum length. If you are only neck sizing, it will take several more firings before reaching the maximum length than if you are full Length resizing. The maximum length is listed in hand loading manuals.

Quote:
And normally how many times can you reload a case before it isnt safe to reload anymore? In this instance i am talking about Remington 30-06 brass.
you can continue to hand load using that brass until it gives an indication that the case is no longer fit to be reloaded. Either the case neck will split or the primer pocket will become too loose to hold a primer. There are too many variables (how hot the load is, the rifle's chamber dimensions, etc., for an exact answer. Moderate loads normally enable a long, long case life. A conservative hand loader does not throw away cases very often.
Old November 18, 2009, 10:33 PM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
When I sectioned cases with brass splits, I noticed internal brass erosion [sic, incipient head separation] in the case head. I noticed this around the 17th reload, I had not been looking for it earlier. I don’t know when the erosion[sic, incipient head separation] effects case head strength.
Pardon my correction.