The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 5, 2006, 11:38 AM   #26
Skyguy

Quote:
Sure there is a percentage of [weapon] failure, but a much lower percentage to fail using iron sights as opposed to an added-on, battery powered aiming system.
Iron sights are next to useless in low light and darkness where over 70% of armed confrontations take place.
You'll end up point shooting in those situations.

You can significantly reduce your exposure from behind cover, horizontal or vertical, by using a laser vs iron sights.
Wounded, panicked, weak hand, prone?.....a laser sight can save your life.
Bifocals, lost glasses, awkward positions, under/over/around cover?...you'll shoot accurately with a laser sight. It's that simple.

Laser sights should be used in conjunction with and 'not' to replace iron sights or basic training.
They're a multifaceted alternative and a superior threat focused sighting system.

The bottom line is that a laser sight is unquestionably a distinct tactical advantage in diminished light, low-light, and near-total darkness, on stationary and moving targets, in the open or shooting from cover, two-handed or one, strong or weak hand.

Try one, you'll never look back. :)
Old April 5, 2006, 11:53 AM   #27
pax

When I think about it, I think "batteries can fail" is absolutely the silliest reason not to like laser sights that I can think of. Of course the iron sights will still be there even if the laser doesn't work, but that's not my main point.

Your gun can fail if it gets too dirty and gunked up, or if the springs get too worn out. So what do you do? Why, you keep it clean, of course. And you check and replace the springs from time to time. It's just routine maintenance.

It ain't all that hard to change batteries from time to time, when you are doing the other routine maintenance a lifesaving gun might require.

But I guess if you're the kind of person who can't be bothered to do routine maintenance on gear you trust your life to, the objection makes sense.

pax
Old April 5, 2006, 12:40 PM   #28
mgdavis

Back on topic...

I finally got contact lenses that I can wear for a week straight. This was a huge improvement over having to grab my glasses, as I have very poor uncorrected vision. I can now read the clock next to my bed when I wake up in the night, too.
Old April 5, 2006, 01:00 PM   #29
PATH

I have myopia and cannot see too well at distance especially at night. I like the dog idea that was mentioned here. My dog would bark and then lick a burglar. The barking is handy as I keep my eyeglasses on the nightstand. It takes me at most 2 seconds to get the eyeglasses on and another second to get the gun in the nightstand. 3 seconds can be an eternity though. Maybe LASIK would be an option for some here. I hear it works wonders.

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old April 5, 2006, 02:56 PM   #30
riverrat66

Quote:
Maybe LASIK would be an option for some here. I hear it works wonders.
I got a pamphlet about LASIK Eye Surgery but that's as far as I got. I understand it's pretty expensive. I may still look into it because my eyes are getting worse and it's becoming harder to focus on the sights.

Not to get off topic again but what Skyguy said is right. Lasers are great! I had one on my Glock 26 when they first came out and it was absolutely amazing until I broke it. But today they are made much better (and cheaper) and the battery lasted forever.
Old April 5, 2006, 05:27 PM   #31
Derius_T

pax:

Quote:
I have no CHOICE but to bet my life on the mechanical ability of my firearm to go boom. If you use a quality, proven firearm, quality ammo, and properly care for your weapon, it will most likely take care of you.
So as you can see, I am not a guy who does not maintain my weapons, so what you said was kinda unnessessary. They make night sights for weapons specifically designed to help in low-light situations. They also, if you are inclined, make compact lighting systems that light up the area the second you put finger to trigger.

I just have seen guys get lazy, relying on a laser system, and lose the ability to fight properly without it after extended use. It is something I have SEEN and not just read about, so I have to take that into consideration, FOR ME.

Also, yes, its quite easy to change a battery every so often along with routine maintenance. But they still fail. I don't want to add one more thing that could possibly go wrong when my life depends on it. There are too many variables as it is.....