The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 31, 2006, 06:41 PM   #26
choochboost

Quote:
It's a debate whether you should ever drop your weapon. Law enforcement has been taught to never; and in 99% cases you shouldn't either.
No debate. If you surrender your weapon you can only lose and you have just forfeited any option to defend yourself or your loved ones.

Quote:
However, if the person is psychologically unstable, he might shoot if you don't.
Even if you surrender your weapon, what will stop him from shooting both you and your family member (his hostage)? The presence of your weapon does not put you or your family member in any greater danger, but surrendering it sure will!
Old April 1, 2006, 08:33 PM   #27
JohnBrowning

I must also reccomend you seek formal training. I have friends that live in Cadilac, so I happen to know there isn't much along the lines of tactical training available there. Second Chance body armor is located somewhat near you, but I dobt they do training, (just horribly fun machine gun shoots). I think your best bet is to do an internet search and find some reputable trainers that are a minimal drive away. Also, if you haven't already, get a concealed pistol license.

Normaly the website below would be a good place to look up a reputable self defence school in your area, but it appears that their hosting contract expired today, so check back later after they staighten that out.

www.glsda.org
Old April 1, 2006, 11:11 PM   #28
OneInTheChamber

Quote:
Even if you surrender your weapon, what will stop him from shooting both you and your family member (his hostage)? The presence of your weapon does not put you or your family member in any greater danger, but surrendering it sure will!
Remember though; your loved one means zippo to the BG, and the BG means zippo to you. But I bet your loved one means a hell of a lot to you. So what stops him from shooting the hostage with your gun pointed at him? Big deal to you that you kill him; that won't bring back a loved one. He may not even care whether he lives or dies.

I understand that 99% of the time not standing down is the proper tactic; however, you need to do what will best get your family out alive. If you sense he is about to pull the trigger; and you can't stop it, I would best put my weapon down and hopefully buy myself some more time.