The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 4, 2006, 09:50 AM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

Obiwan, no one wants to be the first. But there are various skills to practice. I think the point is that some of the complex skills of tactical reloads may not be worth the time as compared to the time one should spend on actually shooting well with the first mag. The debate is the hypothetical vs. what happens and the allocation of training resources.

My takeaway point was that one should always have a loaded gun except at the time of the actual mag drop. Thus, the focus on making sure you have one. Tom specifically said that retaining the mag was important in military paradigms with prolonged firefights and being way from supplies. For the civilian, the mag retention seems not to be a significant part of our ecology.

If it never happens, then the KISS of the speed reload may be probabilistic better and easier to execute. It's the dreaded evaluation of risk.

Anyway, I was just repeating what Tom said and I think I don't want to talk about this today. Nor do I want to talk about movement. Nor caliber. I think I'm going to go over to the Cheese forum and debate why I like extra-aged Appenzeller the best.

Tom also said that J frames were obsolete. The small semis like the Kahrs should take their place.

CPII with Tom and John (www.rangemaster.com) was an awesome course. Very intense and certainly Tom and John gave my insights into some of my myriad flaws that I hadn't gotten from others.