The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 6, 2000, 05:16 PM   #1
SFCop

Now that I ave decided to order a 1911 from acp shortley, I need help on picking a good holster. I have decided on an iwb, but not sure which one. I need somthing that is quick to get on and off sense I am not aloud to carry on base, I will have to take the holter/gun off upon leaving and coming on base. My other primary consurns are sturdyness and concealability. Also, would like to be able to use the same holster for a custom p-14 I currently own. Thanks for the help in advance.//SF
Old February 6, 2000, 05:18 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Moving to Gear and Accessories forum...
Old February 6, 2000, 05:52 PM   #3
AUTiger73

I carried a Colt Combat Commander in a Bianchi IWB Pistol Pocket. This is a cowhide holster that is adjustable for angle of carry via a screw on backside of holster.
Holster has secure, quality belt snaps.

What I like about the Bianchi IWB is the thumb-break snap strap. I carried "cocked & locked" with strap between the hammer and firing pin. (Bianchi warns against this for liability reasons) After 25 years the Bianchi holster is still fully serviceable.

I've been carrying a SIG P239 in a Kramer IWB #3 for the past year or so. Any one of Kramer's three models of IWB would be excellent, either horse hide or cow hide.
Best of Luck!

[This message has been edited by AUTiger73 (edited February 06, 2000).]
Old February 6, 2000, 07:41 PM   #4
Mikey

I have used both holsters that AUTiger73 spoke of and they are both very nice.

I don't personally like the thumb-break strap on my carry holsters and especially on IWB's since the are inherently secure anyway.

Take a look at the DeSantis Inner Piece. I just got one recently and I believe it's the best I've ever used. It's rough side out so it won't slide around. I also like the Milt Sparks Heritage. It's a super classy and comfortable rig.

Mikey
Old February 7, 2000, 01:16 PM   #5
Joey

Where are you stationed??? Some instlation CC's let you proceed directly to and from your quarters if married. They do not want you getting out and packing/un-packing your pistols in public and without a clearing barel.

I'm asuming your married and don't need to keep your firearms in the Armory.

I've gone with a Rosen ARG for my Colt 1911 and love it, but it's a tad spendy and you must wait about 6 months for it. Alessi, Milt Sparks and Galco also make good holsters. I've got a Galco paddle holster for a Glock 19 and it sticks way out making it hard to conceal without a big coat.

Check Out Gun Spot http://www.gunspot.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi Lou Alessi Tony Kanelli (Milt Sparks) and other very knowledgable people hang out there.
Old February 7, 2000, 07:41 PM   #6
SFCop

Well, thanks for all the help guys. I will probably end up getting a sparks or allesi holster. Joey, I am stationed at FE Warren AFB, in WY. Who would I ask on base about transportation of the firearm going off base and on base from my home? Anyone here live and shoot in the cheyenne area? Thanks//SFCop
Old February 7, 2000, 08:47 PM   #7
Joey

Boy oh boy have you really lucked out SF Cop, I'm also at FE What unit are you with????? One of the guys in MSC is the secretary of a range just south of town. Drop me a e-mail [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Joey (edited February 07, 2000).]