The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 16, 2002, 02:58 AM   #1
Cosmoline

Custom Mauser Options

I found a really odd thumb-hole Mauser '98 stock from fajen, now I'm feeling the need to construct a custom rifle around it (it's like adding more cereal because you put too much milk in the bowl).

I love Mausers, and I'd like to construct something cool and off-beat for this one. Who makes custom receivers and barrels out there? Anyone have suggestions for cool chamberings? I'm looking for something in the .30'06 range or a tad higher, but with a flatter trajectory. .300 Win Mag crossed my mind.
Old March 16, 2002, 04:08 AM   #2
Commander Fan

6.5mm-'06 (wildcat)

It's the rage on the 1,000yd Benchrest boards and some of the Sniper boards as well.www.snipershide.com.

Just use a standard long action, neck down the .30-06 case to 6.5mm(.260) and, Viola! You have a .600+ BC with only a 142gr SMK, requiring only 26 MOA to get you to 1,000. FLAT, with little recoil!!!

And the 6.5mm also makes an excellant hunting caliber. Just look at the history of the 6.5X55 Sweede. Throughout the past century, it has taken everything from elephants on down.

It's just an idea.

Also, I have never heard of anyone building around a stock before???