The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 14, 2011, 09:21 AM   #1
WWWJD

Barska Tactical Spotter; Anyone Tried this little guy?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=251836

The magnification looks good, eye relief looks good (I wear glasses), and it's relatively compact with a 45 degree eyepiece.

It also has a Mil-dot reticle for range estimation. Just wondering if anyone here's tried it before I hand them my $150. I know I've got to do something. I've got a 10X scope on my rig and I can barely see my hits.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old March 14, 2011, 05:38 PM   #2
g.willikers

Opticsplanet has an 11-44, too, for $130, but no reviews as yet.
It does sound good.
Old March 14, 2011, 06:53 PM   #3
WWWJD

Well.. After surfing around (some more), I decided to take a gamble on this one:

burris-25x-75x-70mm-xts-2575-spotter-spotting-scope.html

I'm attempting to get something small and functional, without telling myself after a while "you get what you pay for". I'm not too picky, but I am fascinated by the Cassegrain design on this one and the size. I've looked through some pretty cheap cassegrain optics on SLR cameras, and have been impressed. This one has much better eye relief as well. We'll see what happens.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old March 15, 2011, 08:21 AM   #4
shanzlik

That Burris looks interesting, let us know how it works for you. FWIW, I'd rather take a risk on a Burris than a Barska.
Old March 17, 2011, 06:12 PM   #5
WWWJD

Got the Burris today, and for $225? Well, I don't know how this thing could get any better! Eye relief is excellent with my glasses on at 25-75X. Image stays brighter than I expected at full power. The zoom knob isn't overly stiff as some reported on opticsplanet.

This little scope to my surprise is truly a Maksutov design. The focus is like other cassegrains, in that the focus knob moves the main mirror back and forth. It can be touchy, but once you're on it, you're not going to accidentally throw your focus off by touching the eyepiece or anything like that. The depth of field isn't very deep at full power, but... again.. $225!!!

The little tripod that's included will be great for shooting prone or from a bench. It's wobbly, but you're shooting at a stationary target. Once you're focused and on target, do what other telescopers do and don't touch the tube while viewing, and it will be great. Others have said that these little cheap scopes are useless at higher powers; I will have to disagree. I read the serial number off of a 25kVA pole mounted transformer at 400 yards. Resolution was pretty good. Pretty sure I'd be able to see .3" holes out to 600 without too much argument. All in all, for the average shooter, I don't see how you could think you've done wrong in buying this thing.

In addition to the scope, I went ahead and bought a Burris tripod. It comes with slewing knobs that are very useful for dialing in an object, and separates so that you can mount the head on a car window. It was $25.

I'm a happy dude.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old March 17, 2011, 09:40 PM   #6
shanzlik

Sounds good, thanks for the report.