The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 11, 2006, 08:40 PM   #1
5whiskey

I just learned something new

And It doesn't apply to everyone, but I think it's an awesome training tool. I train in a lot of CQB shooting and limited range engagements. Let me first say my primary weapon is and always be a rifle, and I focus 90% of my training on just that. A pistol to me is only a secondary weapon used when my primary is out of rounds/out of action.

Okay, I'll quit rambling. This trick is for CQB engagement with a combat optic, mainly an ACOG, Aimpoint, or other red dots and reflexes. We all know that you should use these optics with both eyes open in CQB. You actually should use optics with both eyes open most of the time, unless you are making a precision shot (meaning you pretty much have to be supported or in the prone to be able to hit it). Not having both eyes open brings your view of the world from close to 180 degree field of view all the way down to 10 degrees on average for most optics. That's pretty restrictive. The method I learned is referred to as snap shooting, and it's used to make very fast shots when presenting your weapon and engaging or engaging multiple targets.

Let me first say this method probably won't go very far out of 50 meters, and the point is to not hold an awesome group on a 4" target. Your trying to engage so fast that even a good shooters group will be about 12" at 10 meters (obviously you slow down a little the farther away you are). I'm sure everyone has done fast engagement drills.

You must have an illuminated reticle for this. Tape the objective lens of the optic completely, so that you can see nothing but the illuminated reticle when you look through it, and it will force you to shoot with both eyes open. Your dominate or scope eye will see the reticle, and your non dominate or open eye will see the target. Your brain will marry the two together and, believe it or not, you will hit your target consistantly. Again, this isn't for 4" groups, and your point of aim will be off of your point of impact slightly, but it will be close enough to engage the kill zone of a target at 50 meters. It works, and it's the best way in the world to train someone to keep both eyes open.
Old April 11, 2006, 08:47 PM   #2
pickpocket

That's a pretty decent idea. I just slapped my guys in the back of the head when they closed their weak-eye!

hahaha!

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"