The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 24, 2006, 07:14 PM   #1
wgr

sharps businessrifle

can anyone tell be about the pedersoli sharps business rifle that DGW sells i would like to have a sharps but most r out of my reach this rifle lists in DGW for under 900 bucks all the specks. seem the same
Old February 27, 2006, 12:39 AM   #2
steve1589

Just save your money until you can afford a C Sharps or a Shilo Sharps. You will have a rifle that you can be proud of. You have the deposit money and you can save the rest by the time the rifle is made.
Old February 28, 2006, 02:16 AM   #3
Gewehr98

Just say "No" to snobbery.

Some folks can't afford the cost, or don't relish the year + wait, to get an original C. Sharps or Shiloh Sharps 1874 rifle.

The Italian Pedersoli and Uberti Sharps Model 1874 rifles are just fine, and will even piss off owners of the high-dollar Montana-made C. Sharps and Shiloh Sharps rifles by winning BPCR competitions with the best of them. It's what I'll be doing with my Italian Sharps 1874.

I've noticed used Pedersoli rifles still hold quite a resale value, if you do decide to trade up to the Montana Sharps rifles.

Neural Misfires
Old February 28, 2006, 02:39 AM   #4
Weird Guy

I am with Gewehr on this as well. The Shiloh and C Sharps are actually a bit much. The Pedersoli will do the job just fine, and it actually is well made. I took my gun's lock apart within days of getting it to have a look. It was good inside and out.

I wanted to buy a Sharps, but bought a crappy Pedratti when I did get one from EMF. I learned my lesson there.

Looking for a quality rifle I did some research instead. Pedersoli is the one I decided on. The Shiloh Sharps waiting period and double or triple the cost instantly turned me off to them. I don't want to wait. I read the reviews of the guns on Dixie Gun Works and they Pedersoli's seemed to have a lot of positive reviews. They are not the Lamborgini of the black powder market, but they are well above average.

This is the one I bought, because I wanted a military rifle and only a single trigger. I am quite happy with it, and my gun loving nutcase friend, Dennis has looked at it and commented that it was a nice looking rifle almost instantly.

Last edited by Weird Guy; February 28, 2006 at 06:03 AM.
Old February 28, 2006, 09:19 AM   #5
Old Dragoon

Buy a Pedersoli shoot the riflings out of it(in 20 years), buy another and you still haven't the money invested or the wait on a Shiloh. My Pedersoli would outshoot my Shiloh any day of the week. I didn't have to wait on my Shiloh as I got it used at a gunshow, but it would not hold a candle to the Pedersoli I bought used from a friend.
Old March 1, 2006, 09:23 PM   #6
Weird Guy

Hey, Gewehr? How good are those Creedmore sights?
Old March 2, 2006, 12:19 PM   #7
Ozzieman

I am sorry but that is NOT a nice looking gun

That is a GREAT looking gun
I have a friend that owns a Pedrattione and I was very impressed.
If I wasnt so much of a muzzle loader I would have one too.
Some times cheaper is best.
Old March 2, 2006, 08:26 PM   #8
Gewehr98

The Creedmoor sights are a kick in the pants!

I'm usually a scope guy for my long-range guns, save for maybe my 1903A1 Springfield and M96 Swedish Mauser. So it's been a learning curve with a long-range vernier tang sight. Just a smidgen of adjustment means a large difference in bullet impact. Hollywood got it wrong, there's no way Matthew Quigley could mount and dismount his vernier sight as often as he did without some shift in zero. I ended up getting the rear sight leather pouch for mine, and fold it down inside the pouch to protect both the sight and the settings I had dialed in for a given range.

One thing I will probably do is get a Hadley adjustable diopter cup to replace the single aperture in mine - it's fine for certain lighting conditions, but suffers in others. But I can very easily see the Americans using the same sights to beat the Irish at Creedmoor in 1874, and winning at Dollymount throughout the 1870s.

Neural Misfires