The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 20, 2002, 08:13 PM   #1
JimFromFL

Remington 870 barrel question (Slug)

Any difference between a fully rifeled slug barrel made by "Hastings" and a Remington factory barrel. Both have front and rear sights.

Is one better than the other?

What is the going cost for either of these two barrels.
Old June 20, 2002, 09:24 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Not sure on the cost, the main diff is the rifiling. IIRC, the hastings is fully rifled and the Rem is smooth bore. The Hastings is very accurate with sabot slugs, less so with "regular" slugs. My personal Rem smooth bore is an inch and a half gun at 50 yards,

The big factor here is where you plan to hit your target. If your looking at a 150 yard shot, go with the Hastings and the additional expense. For 125 and under, the smooth bore works fine.
Old June 20, 2002, 10:14 PM   #3
JimFromFL

I checked with Remington and they said shooting slugs when using an Improved Choke is fine.

So, should I bother purchasing a barrel only for slugs or just pay the $10 for the new choke and use the one barrle of both slugs or shotshells?
Old June 20, 2002, 11:09 PM   #4
Remmy

I was looking into the same thing for my 870 express. I would stick with my smoothbore, but want something shorter, as my current bbl is 28". So a Remington fully rifled bbl w/ sights is ~190$, while a Hastings fully rifled bbl w/ sights is ~215-230$. Both around 20" bbl's... Its really up too you since the price difference isnt too much, but keep asking and maybe somone who has tried both could tell you pros and cons... I mean, your shooting a shotgun slug, from a SHOTGUN, so accuracy just over 75 yds is tops right? I would just use your one barrel for both slugs and shells, and buy a 5" rifled choke tube maybe.

I still want a ~20" bbl. im thinking smoothbore, too so it'll be good for woods use, with either buckshot, and a rifled choke tube for the slugs if i choose too go that way...
Old June 21, 2002, 05:05 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A coupla things...

Fully rifled shotgun bbls are good only with sabot slugs. Smoothbores are good with anything from #9 shot to a slug.

I split the difference and use a rifled choke tube on a 20" RS bbl for my Deer 870.

My HD 870 is chokeless, and the difference in accuracy between the two is less than 1" at 100 yards. YMMV.

Where I hunt,a 50 yard shot is longer than average. A smoothbore bbl and Brennekes work fine for me.Those who hunt in areas with more opportunities for longer shots may find a scoped, fully rifled 870 a better choice, but less versatile. Ya pays your money and takes your chance.

As for slug shooting, lots of folks do well with just a bead, but I like a peep sight for slugs.
Old June 21, 2002, 07:23 AM   #6
Master Blaster

I just went through the same decision process on a second barrel for my 870. The purpose was to have a shorter barrel (it came with a 28" remchoke barrel) that could fire slugs, and buckshot for home defense and hunting. I decided on the remmington 20" smoothbore rifle sighted barrel. It cost $109.99 at Cabellas.

Take a look at cabellas website they have the remmington smothbore parkerized 20" DRS barrel for 109.99 plus shipping. they also have the same barrel in polished blue for $140.00.

I have taken mine to the range and it shoots well.