The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 17, 2001, 12:39 PM   #1
SigmundSauer

I beseech the advice of those who can help!

A good friend of mine has an 1863 Arizona Territory Centennial Edition .45 Colt SAA (2nd Gen) manufacured in 1963. Unfired and mint condition with mother of pearl grips beautiful blueing and gold inlays on the inscriptions as well as beautiful gold plating over half of the gun. The original wood box has some scratches and nicks from sitting around the house for almost 40 years but the revolver is pristine.

I have absolutely no idea how much this thing is worth! Does anybody know of a ball park figure for the revolver? He wants to sell it to me for $1300, should I splurge?

Please help, soon! I have to decide in 5 days.

Thank you.

SS (knows very little about Colts)
Old January 17, 2001, 10:33 PM   #2
Ned Roundtree

Unless you are a knowledgeable collector, I would stay clear of commemoratives. With that said I will quote from the Blue Book by SP Fjestad. "Typically, special and limited editions are made for distributors. These sub-contracts seem to be mostly to signify/commemorate an organization,state, special event or occassiom, personality, etc. These are typicaly marked and sold through a distrubutor or dealer...These special editions may or may not have a retail price and often times, since demand is regional, values decrease rapidly in other areas of the country....Until recently the over-production of many factory commemoratives had created a "softness" in the marketplace...."

The preface goes on to say that since Colt quit producing commemoratives the market has gotten a lot stronger and has no where to go but up.

1963 Arizona Territorial Centennial SAA .45, issue price $150, quantity made 1,280, current value in 100% new in box condition $1,395.

Given the current cost of new Colts, $1300 is a bargain. But it is a gun that must be kept in pristine condition and never shot to keep it's collector value. Good luck.
Old January 19, 2001, 02:50 PM   #3
SigmundSauer

Thank you very much.

SS