The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 7, 2001, 02:24 PM   #1
Q-Ball

While this dosent have much to do with SASS or cowboy shooting in general I have a question you folks might be able to help out with. My wife bought me a little Trapper Carbine in .357 mag for Christmas. One look at all that blued steel had me worrying about rust. Most of my rifles are wearing military grade phosphate so with a modicum of care rust is not an issue. What do you all recomend to keep the gun from rusting, oily rag? or somthing better. Thanks
Q-Ball
But I dont WANT to be reasonable.
Old January 8, 2001, 09:28 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Giving it some TLC every once in a while if it sits for long periods will go a long way in preserving its appearance. Wipe the metal down with a lightly oiled rag to put a light oil covering on it. Wipe the stock down with a dry rag. Remember to clean after every shooting session.
Old January 8, 2001, 10:31 PM   #3
Chris Bowie

Cant beat an oily rag !!!

G'day there Q-Ball !
Fal is right !!! The trick is to clean it after every shooting session. I also carry a small oily rag in the gunbags of each of my rifles and shotguns so as i pack them away they get a quick wipe down.... this gets off all the gunk lefty by your hands.
Over the years Ive tried all manner of products for rust prevention but reckon the secret it to get some oil... or even CRC or Wd-40 on as soon as possible so it doesnt start.
Chris Bowie SASS # 3487
Kenton Valley Cowboys
South Australia
Old January 10, 2001, 08:16 AM   #4
Ned Roundtree

I try to keep my gun vault dry. And a little TLC with an oily rag always helps. Don't panic just cause the gun is blue. Most of my guns are blue.