The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 13, 2013, 07:35 PM   #1
ROCKYTOP52

newbie from Tennessee

Hi guys and gals of Firing Line Community. I'm newbie to this wonderful site. I'm also a newbie to the wonderful world of guns. After helping take care of my ailing mother who recently passed away from Brain & lung cancer I was looking for something to help take my mind off of how much I missed her because my father & me were helping her with anything & everything she needed for almost 5 years. So 1 day my father was fixing to sell a commercial property he had & took a old stuffed animal & pulled out a little 25 & told me to shoot. he actually had missed it his his 1st couple of shots. he said don't be discouraged if you miss because you probably will because you have never shot a gun. so I took it and slowly fired 4 rounds. Then we went to see how I did and he said wow your a natural. I've been hooked ever since. Shortly after we went and took the gun class & filled out for our carry permits & I actually just got it yesterday. I also purchased my 1st gun yesterday to. My 1st purchase is a Ruger GP100 357 Magnum. I went with this because after my 1st shooting experience my dad gave me a family heirloom he had got from his father. It was a1976 Colt Trooper MKIII 357 MAGNUM. Its my favorite gun I own. But with it originally being my grandfathers gun & then my dads & finally mine. I've decided to keep it locked up tight in my safe. I was an only child & since I have only 1 child even though its a daughter I'm going to give it to her one day. Sorry for the long rant. I just wanted to introduce myself & give a little info about me & to say thanks for letting me become a member to this cool sight. I'm not the most computer literate but I'm going to try & post pictures of both my guns if I can figure it out.

Also if anyone could send me a private message telling me how to post pictures it would be appreciated also Im on Smart Phone this pretty much only internet access I have is through my phone. Sorry for silly question computer technology to me is like Kryptonite to Superman
Old April 13, 2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Death from Afar

Nice to meet you, this is the best serious gun corner of the net. Nice moderators too...just avoid talking about what to do when the zombies come.
Old April 13, 2013, 07:40 PM   #3
2damnold4this

Welcome to TFL. You might want to introduce yourself in the intro thread in the general discussion forum.
Old April 13, 2013, 08:10 PM   #4
AID_Admin

Welcome to the forum! I am a newbie myself! (Not a newbie to shooting, but a newbie to revolvers and to the forum). The guys around here are great. I already learned a ton, thanks to them!
Old April 14, 2013, 10:59 AM   #5
22-rimfire

Welcome to the forum Rockytop52 from Murr-ville. My 6" Colt Trooper Mark III is my favorite 357 mag to shoot. It is one of the few Colts I do shoot.

The GP-100 is an excellent revolver and a great choice. It's one that I have grown attached to and it improves with shooting. But I still prefer the Trooper Mark III.
Old April 14, 2013, 11:08 AM   #6
g.willikers

Welcome to you.
And sorry for your loss.
Enjoy your new revolver, and the old one, too.
Check out the Jerry Miculek videos on the web, for how to use them effectively.
Or just to see how the best revolver guy on the planet does it.
http://www.myoutdoortv.com/search/node/Jerry%20Miculek
Old April 14, 2013, 03:39 PM   #7
ROCKYTOP52

Thanks for all the welcomes & sorry if I posted in wrong area. I'm newbie to computers as well. 1st time I had ever been on computer I was roughly 28yrs. Old and my 6 yr. Old daughter had to show me how to use one. Just got back from the shooting range and had blast. It 2nd time shooting my Ruger. I have no problems with it but If I had to pick a favor my Colt Trooper MKIII still has the upper hand.
Old April 14, 2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Ruger480

Quote:
Check out the Jerry Miculek videos on the web, for how to use them effectively
Lol. Try as I might, I cannot replicate what he does with my 480
Old April 14, 2013, 05:43 PM   #9
357 Python

Welcome. It is always nice to pass on a family heirloom from one generation to another. She will love having it when it comes to her. She will be the fourth generation to have that Colt.
Old April 17, 2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Buzzcook

Welcome to the forum.

The GP-100 is a very good first centerfire. You might want to add a .22 caliber handgun because the ammo is so inexpensive.

BTW don't just bury the Colt in your safe. It won't hurt it to shoot it once in a while