The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 24, 2000, 11:50 AM   #1
Ned Roundtree

USFAs Omnipotent is a pretty different revolver. Looking like the forgotten 1878 Colt Double Action revolver with a bisley hammer. But functioning like a single action revolver. Colts Frontier model actually had a model named the Omnipotent. But now the SASS TGs have voted to reject the gun as a SASS main match gun. Any comments from cowboys out there on this fantasy gun? Or does no one care?
Old December 25, 2000, 07:59 PM   #2
Jay Baker

That's understandable. That issue has come up before. Afterall, SASS stands for SINGLE ACTION!!!! Shooting Society.

Their organization: their rules.

J.B. (My SASS # is in the mid-600s, by the way.)

Old December 26, 2000, 03:15 PM   #3
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Ned,

If it weren't for the Bisley hammer, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But, allowing such a gun with a Bisley hammer opens up a whole can of worms (Bisley hammers on bird's head Vaqueros, changing grips on Bisleys).

Bellicose Bill
Old December 29, 2000, 01:09 PM   #4
Hook_N_Bullet

Howdy Bill,

Please expound further on your opinion of the Bisley Hammer. I recently joined SASS, and am in the process of buying the necessary guns, I bought one Ruger Bis-Vaq in .44 Mag, and will soon be buying another. Is there something wrong with the bisley hammer? Even if its just a personal preference, let me know. I've only shot the pistol at paper, so I don't really know if the Hammer makes a difference in SASS competitions or not (I haven't participated in a shoot yet).

BTW thanks for the advice on cleaning up after Black Powder!

Dave
Old December 29, 2000, 05:46 PM   #5
Gunslinger

I feel in love with the Omnipotent as soon as I saw it on the cover of Guns of the Old West. But it really is not a SASS legal gun in my opinion. The gun is in no way an original configuration......of anything. Eventhough it is a single action it misses the point of being a 19th century weapon.

Hook, Bisley hammers are SASS legal on Bisley revolvers. However, the rules prohibit using a gun with a standard grip frame and Bisley hammer, something that is not possible to do on a Colt but is possible on a Ruger Vaquero. I have a few Vaqueros that I have fitted with Bisley hammers. They give the shooter the advantage of a shorter, lower throw of the hammer and are some what faster with practice. The rule prohibiting them is to prevent "gamesmanship" and open the door to highly customized guns as seen in other shooting sports.