The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 3, 2012, 09:03 PM   #1
oldguy870

Which shotgun would you take for a backup gun?

I have 3 Benelli M2s and 4 Remington 870s. I like my 870s a lot. But, I shoot my M2s better. So, my M2s are my go to guns for bird hunting.

When I go on dove hunts and duck hunts, I want to bring a backup gun. The thing that worries me is that I will be leaving the backup gun in the car while I hunt. This means I run a risk of getting my gun stolen if my car is broken into.

So, do I take a $300 Remington 870 as the backup? Or, do I go with one of my $1200 M2s?

Insurance would cover a stolen gun out of my car. However, the deductible is $500. Would you risk it with the Benelli as a backup?
Old June 3, 2012, 09:21 PM   #2
scottycoyote

wow nice set of shotguns you have there. I think unless it was one of those expensive hunts of a lifetime kind of thing, id just take the 870 as a backup. The odds of needing it are probably about the same of being broken into.
Old June 3, 2012, 10:27 PM   #3
zippy13

As an undergraduate, Engineering Economics was a requirement. I still remember a seeming silly question, "How much would you spend to recover a loss of $12,000." All of the equations about interest rates and the such didn't give an answer; but, common sense tells us $11,999. That way you get at least something back.

Let's look at your question from the same standpoint. If your 870 is stollen, then it will cost you $300 to replace it. If your $1,200 Benelli is lost, then it will cost you $500 (your deductible) to replace it.

What's a better deal, a new $300 870 for $300 or a new $1200 Benelli for $500?

Take the gun that you shoot best and leave the rest.
Old June 4, 2012, 01:24 AM   #4
TheKlawMan

Zippy, The OP beleives his insurance will cover theft of a gun stolen from his vehicle If there is coverage, it may only cover the actual cash value of the stolen gun.

It depends on one's insurance policy, but I understand the many auto policies will not cover stolen personal property. I do not believe my State Farm policy will.

I would also consider whether or not leaving one gun would increase the risk over taking the other one that someone will still the gun or damage the vehicle to break in and steal the gun.

The OP may want to check with his agent as to what his policies cover. It is possible that the gun would be covered under homeowners.
Old June 4, 2012, 07:37 AM   #5
oldguy870

I have had two guns stolen from my vehicle in the last 20 years. Both times they were in the trunk of the car. Homeowners insurance covered the loss both times after the deductible.
Old June 4, 2012, 10:09 AM   #6
zippy13

TKM, I had my tongue in my cheek, it's my last line that matters.
Old June 4, 2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Grant D

Leave the 870 in the car, or buy a sling and take it with you.
Old June 4, 2012, 01:38 PM   #8
BigJimP

Homeowners ( or renters ) insurance covers your guns...in your home, or in your vehicle, etc. - just like all of your other property - clothes, etc.

Auto policies will typically not give you any coverage for items stolen from your car...not clothes, guns, cameras, etc....

All policies vary by insurance company --and by State. So check yours out!

All decent policies will have replacement value on your personal property ...but to get the money, you'll have to replace the item stolen or you will probably get a depreciated value ( Actual Cash Value ). Check your policy ...loss settlement conditions / call your agent.

On almost all Homeowner's policies - there is a separate sub-limit for "Theft" of guns ( not for Fire, etc ) ...just "Theft". But when you leave guns in a vehicle, Theft is typically what your risk is. I've seen policies that have a sub-limit for Theft of Guns as low as $ 1,000 - some as high as $ 2,500 - and some may have another sub-limit of no more than $ X per gun within that limit. Many companies will let you increase that limit - for a small additional premium. If you have a theft loss - your homeowner's deductible will apply ( and deductibles are common from $ 500 - $ 2,500 )...so check and see what yours is.

You have another option ...you can "schedule" a specific gun ...by make, model, serial number and replacement value. This is typically done with no deductible...but its more expensive / and its specific to the gun scheduled. If you replace the gun - the coverage does not transfer --- you have to keep the schedule updated / and the value updated as replacement costs increase.

There are also special policies you can buy thru the NRA, NSSA, etc...essentially "scheduling your guns" .../ but typically your homeowner's insurance company is your least expensive option.
------------
What would I do ....I'd carry the Benelli as my backup ( and I typically do that on a hunt / where an O/U will be my primary - but I have a Benelli super sport as my backup ).
Old June 4, 2012, 01:40 PM   #9
oneounceload

Most guns get stored out of sight in a truck - behind or under a seat. in the tool box in the bed, etc.

Does where you hunt regularly have break-ins or is this just some fanciful "what-if" scenario?

Decades ago when lead was legal and I duck/goose hunted, no one ever had vehicles broken into - we weren't right next to them, but we wouldn't have been able to stop a smash and grab person - maybe it was just the nature of folks back then, fellow hunters and all, I don't know - here we have more dove hunters and folks who park by the side of the road while they hunt turkey in a large wooded tract - none i know who do this have yet to have their truck broken into

Point being, unless you have major issues with break-ins, storing it under/behind the seat out of sight, or in a tool box in the bed will most likely suffice - either that, or bring your back up with you in a good case so it is handy should you need it
Old June 4, 2012, 01:46 PM   #10
the old gringo

back up

it is just that a backup . ok in my cabin i keep a 90.00 single barrel ,it works if the other breaks that is all . if its stolen i am out 90 bucks and if needed the sb works and would keep me from driving 80 miles of treachous road to a walmart for a so so gun.same for big game a 6.5 swede goes bang every time and i am out if stolen 300 bucks. cheers jeff
Old June 4, 2012, 05:09 PM   #11
TheKlawMan

Zippy, I didn't mean to correct you but wanted the OP to realize that his auto policy may not cover the gun if stolen. That last line suggests that you should have been a Madman; I mean a Madison Avenue adman.