The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 24, 2010, 08:35 PM   #1
cheapthrillz

Winchester Model 12 Help Needed

Hey guys,

Today I purchased two long guns for $40. One is Remmy Model 512 Sportmaster (Crafted Nov 1941). The other, you guessed it.... a Win Model 12.

I've got some questions that I thought you guys might be able to help me with. I've been on the computer for the last 6 hours researching. Maybe you can help me out or point me in the right direction.

Winchester Model 12:
SN# 405918 (Crafted 1925)
20 ga
Standard foregrip
Standard pistol grip stock w/ checkering
Plastic Winchester logo butt plate
No Rib (EDIT)
Barrell (SN#405918) seems shorter than 26" and has a poly choke (single turn)
Condition is probably Fair. It is mechanically sound (although I haven't shot it yet), but has some pitting and surface rust. The furniture is very dark colored and in OK shape. The stock has some small chips and notches.
I don't know enough about blueing and wood finishes to coment on the quality.

My questions are:

1) Do you think the checkering on the stock is a factory upgrade?

2) Do you think the poly choke hurts the value?

3) What could it be worth?

4) If I were to try and clean it up, would you limit the cleaning to just 000 steel wool? Any other suggestions/info/questions/advice?

Thank you in advanced!

Hopefully I can hang around and contribute! I am young, but I really enjoy shooting and guns in general.

JC Scott

Last edited by cheapthrillz; February 25, 2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old February 24, 2010, 10:33 PM   #2
30-30remchester

Well l will try to help but without photos its just a guess. I have collected and shot model 12's for far more years than I care to admit. First, if the barrel has a choke marking (full, mod, imp cyl) then the polychoke is an aftermarket and greatly reduces the value. The rib is unventalated? But if it does have a rib then it is what is called a solid rib and is a bonus. Lastly cleaning metal parts with 000 steelwool soaked with WD-40, done lightly, is the standard way to remove surface rust. As to the checkering I would have to view it to determine if it is factory or aftermarket.
Old February 24, 2010, 11:31 PM   #3
cheapthrillz

Quote:
Well l will try to help but without photos its just a guess. I have collected and shot model 12's for far more years than I care to admit. First, if the barrel has a choke marking (full, mod, imp cyl) then the polychoke is an aftermarket and greatly reduces the value. The rib is unventalated? But if it does have a rib then it is what is called a solid rib and is a bonus. Lastly cleaning metal parts with 000 steelwool soaked with WD-40, done lightly, is the standard way to remove surface rust. As to the checkering I would have to view it to determine if it is factory or aftermarket.
The barrel is marked as a Full choke. It has no rib. Here are some pics:

Old February 25, 2010, 09:06 AM   #4
jaguarxk120

Looking at the photo's of the checkering, it is very evident that it is a frist time job of a amateure. There is incomplete lines and many over runs, the diamonds are of the wrong shape the ratio should be about 3:1.
Old February 25, 2010, 09:40 AM   #5
cheapthrillz

Quote:
Looking at the photo's of the checkering, it is very evident that it is a frist time job of a amateure. There is incomplete lines and many over runs, the diamonds are of the wrong shape the ratio should be about 3:1.
Interesting..... While I was looking, all of the pictures that I could find of checkered stocks had rubber butt plates instead of plastic. I remembered reading somewhere that the standard stock could have been checkered as a "factory option".
Old February 25, 2010, 09:48 AM   #6
cheapthrillz

I guess this was just sombody's ol' shotgun. Maybe I will just clean it up best I can, and then go shooting. I'll just give it what it has been given all of it's life.... shells!
Old February 25, 2010, 10:52 AM   #7
jaguarxk120

Clean it up and use it, the Winchester 12 is a fine old pump. It is the standard of which many are compared to. The poly choke does lessen the value, but that was installed long before removable choke tubes. Look at the Poly Choke this way, your not carrying a pocket full of tubes and a wrench to change them out.
Old February 25, 2010, 11:07 AM   #8
30-30remchester

Definately not checkered by Winchester. Winchester did offer checkered stocks and I have owned quite a few over the years. When they offered checkering it was a set, buttstock and forearm, and they also had a gripcap when checkered. To install a gripcap the area was filled flat for installation. Your stock still has the faint rounded grip of a standard stock. Also Winchester only checkered deluxe wood. Your is a nice quarter sawn plain stock. As someone else pointed out on one side the checkereing wasnt completed, another sigh it didnt leave the factory that way. Anyhow you should have a good shooter.
Old February 25, 2010, 01:55 PM   #9
cheapthrillz

Thanks for all of the knowledge guys! Any clue as to what it may be worth? I don't plan on selling it, but I am curious..... especailly since I only gave $20 for it. Hopefully it cleans up well. Also, how does the bluing and finish look from the pictures? Is any of it still there?
Old February 25, 2010, 02:43 PM   #10
jaguarxk120

For the $20 you did very well. The 20 ga. is a smaller frame than the 12ga. that makes for a lighter gun that swings faster and easyer to carry. Some of the 12 ga. duck guns are very heavy to take care of the recoil. But for upland ggame bird shooting the 20 will do very nicely. What ever you do to the model 12, it will be an improvement.
Old February 25, 2010, 05:49 PM   #11
dropthehammer

I would be interested in buying it if you decide to sell.
Old February 26, 2010, 08:41 AM   #12
cheapthrillz

Thanks for all of the info guys. I will post pictures of the Mod 12 when I clean it up. I will let you know how it shoots.

I don't think I'm interested in selling it right now. As of now, it is the oldest gun I own.