The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 17, 2009, 11:45 PM   #1
meh77gmc

firing pin timing

Hello ya'll,
I'm new to this sight and I like it already. My question has to do with Remington 700 bolt guns. I was reading elsewhere about trigger pull weights and the new X-mark pro trigger. One of the guys mentioned that "timing the firing pin" would help make the trigger pull more consistent. I have never heard about firing pin timing before. Can anyone here tell me about it? What is it? How is it done? What exactly does it do? OK, I'm done. Hope I'm not bothering ya'll with a stupid question that ends up being so simple I end up feeling stupid about it. LOL

Shoot safe ya'll,
Mike Harris
Old January 18, 2009, 01:38 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Steyr is another one.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 19, 2009, 06:46 PM   #3
meh77gmc

Well, I appreciate the information. It sure doesn't sound like anything I'm qualified to even think about right now. I think I'll just stick to the basics with my rifle for now. Thanks again ya'll

Mike Harris
Old January 19, 2009, 10:40 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The above answers are interesting, but don't really tell us what "timing the firing pin" means, and I don't know, either. He might have meant lock time, but again, I don't know. A lot of terms, thrown around by people who want to sound knowledgeable, are essentially meaningless.

Why not ask the friend who told you about it what he meant?

Jim
Old January 20, 2009, 06:05 AM   #5
Iron bottom

Maybe He's talking about firing pin protrusion. Protrusion, diameter and the shape of the firing pin tip are very important in high pressure rounds.
Old January 20, 2009, 08:02 PM   #6
Harry Bonar

timing

Sir;
You don't really (as he says) have "firing pin timing."
The way the firing pin falls is really the distance it has to fall, and the speed; not timing but these items. How it is tensioned, or "cocked" is a matter of rifle design, some favorable, some not so.
People don't like, "cock on closing" or other ways of moving the firing pin to a state of tension. Cock on closing, like the SMLE has been battle tested, like the two stage trigger (probably the best), and several other weapons. The timing of the firing pin is simply the releasing of the mechanism which releases the firing pin and the speed at which it falls.
I personally think any accomplished marksman does not need anything much less than a four pound pull. If you need less you aren't correctly pressing the trigger! Super light trigger pulls, in my opinion, are just efforts to keep from flinching - super light trigger pulls have positively nothing to do with flinching!
Harry B.