The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 27, 2006, 03:58 AM   #1
moose fat

Ishapore 2A and remanufactured ammo, 7.62 vs .308

I got my C&R lisence and promptly ordered and recieved a nice Ishy2A completely covered with crapy black paint and cosmoline. It cleaned up to a nice rifle but now I have to feed it.

I researched on an Enfield site and became aware of the difference between 7.62 NATO and commercial .308. I posed this thread/question there too.

Does anyone know or have any experience with using remanufactured ammo in 7.62 NATO chambered rifles? Any thoughts or comments will be welcome. I am going to be cautious and not use .308.

I don't reload due to time and space constraints, seven kids and 70 big and little fingers.

Thanks
Old December 27, 2006, 11:31 PM   #2
hodaka

I just did the same thing with my C&R. The Ishy has to be the ugliest rifle I have ever purchased. Lots of mineral spirits, Simple Green and steel wool and it now looks okay. At least I'm not embarrased to hold it. I really don't believe there is much of a difference between 308 and 7.62 Nato. In any case I'm shooting the same ammo in my Ishy as I was in my DPMS .308 and my 550 CZ. I do not purchase factory ammo so I cannot address that issue but the stuff I reload is 168 gr. at 2700 FPS and it works great in the Ishy. 50 rounds so far an they all worked great with no pressure indicators.
Old December 28, 2006, 09:54 PM   #3
UniversalFrost

If you can get your hands on the South African 7.62 mil surp(aim usually has it or check gunboker) then it will work great! Also midway just had some Lake City I think on sale as well. I have only ran mil surp through mine and have not tried out any .308 but you shouldn't have a problem. Also, ATI makes a nice synthetic stock for the enfields that really helps "dress up" the appearance if you want to ditch the factory stock.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old December 29, 2006, 02:03 PM   #4
moose fat

Thank you gentlemen,

I am in bush Alaska so everything comes in by air frieght, plus haz-mat fees. It looks like a reloading proposition. I realy do need to reload any way. There is a way!

If you haven't found it already there is a good site;
http://p102.ezboard.com/bparallaxscu...firearmsforums

the Enfield forum.

It sounds like the 7.62/.308 has been discussed since the rounds were first made. From what I have found is that the .308 is/can be 12 000 psi higher than 7.62. The case dimensions at the shoulder and brass thickness-which translates to powder capacity are also different.

Thanks again