The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 11, 2000, 02:37 PM   #1
JonathanT

I'm considering buying 2 of Navy Arms' S.A.A. replicas. They appeal to me because I am on a budget. Any thoughts? How do they stand up against Ruger or Colt? Is it worth it to spend the extra money?

Thanks
Old November 11, 2000, 08:39 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

If these are newer Navy Arms SAA's,then they're made by Uberti. Ubertis are generally the same,whether sold by Navy Arms, Cimmaron, or Uberti USA. The exception to this is the Uberti pistol that is fitted and tuned after delivery to the retailer, such as the Cimmaron Model P and EMF Hartford. Also of note are the new American Western Arms SAA's. From what I hear and read,these are nice guns.

Rugers are essentially bombproof. If you're buying these guns to shoot in CAS matches,then Rugers are a great choice. They are a bit larger and heavier than Colt SAA and clones. Some folks are turned off by this,plus the fact that they don't have the "Colt style loading",where the hammer is placed on half-cock to load the gun. These pistols are worth every bit of their very reasonable cost.

You ask, "Is it worth it to spend the extra money?". I suppose you mean for a real Colt SAA. If so,then my answer is no. The caveat to that is- not a NEW Colt SAA. If you want a real Colt, look to buy 2nd generation or early 3rd generation Colts.

Uberti pistols are decent guns. I personally shoot Uberti 1875 Remingtons in every CAS match I shoot-several a month all year long. Thes have been good, accurate, reliable pistols. If you want a SAA, then Uberti's are perfectly servicable.

Bellicose Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Mitchell (edited November 11, 2000).]
Old November 11, 2000, 10:36 PM   #3
Ned Roundtree

Bill has pretty much said it all. Rugers are the toughest. Ubertis are nice. If you are lucky to find a reasonable pair of early third generation Colts and want the real thing then go for it. But you mentioned a budget, so a pair of Ubertis imported by Navy Arms is just fine. I have a pair of 5 1/2 nickel, Ubertis imported by Taylor Arms. Super guns. Mine are about 30 serial numbers apart. I bought both used about four months apart. Why someone got rid of them, I will never know, I guess.