The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 5, 2002, 08:04 PM   #1
jdrobins

USP or Sig 229/226

I am looking to get into IDPA, and with the cost of ammo for my 40's being an issue, I am looking to get a wonderNine either a Sig 229 or a H&K USP, or a 226, Since I can get ammo reasonable priced. I currently have a USP40c and a 229, and I love them both, so Help me decide on the 9's

Thanks for the opinions

Jim
Old May 6, 2002, 06:20 PM   #2
ryucasta

Cant you just replace the slide, barrel and magazines on your 229 it might be cheaper than buying a whole new gun.

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old May 8, 2002, 07:27 PM   #3
Kermit

Shot my 1st IDPA match w/ my USPc 9 and performed better than expected. My vote: get the USP!
Old May 8, 2002, 09:08 PM   #4
spd522

Which do you shoot the best? That is really what matters. Both are accurate and dependable.

My personal favorite is a P226. I have owned one since 1989 and carried one in LE and shoot one in IDPA and IPSC competitions. I like the grip feel, balance, and trigger much better on the Sig over the HK. I do have the short trigger and feel it makes a big difference for someone like me with smaller hands.

However, for IDPA, if you get a Variant 1 USP, you could shoot the same gun for SSP and ESP. Just DA the 1st shot for SSP and carry cocked and locked for ESP. You save on gear, holsters, ammo etc. plus you get twice the practice with the same gun.

If you have access to one of each for some test shooting, try some standard drills with a timer. Compare the speed,accuracy, and consistancy of your groups. This will help with your decision.

They will both serve you well and long. You can't go wrong with either IMHO.