The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 9, 2006, 11:10 AM   #51
MartinR

I've studied Karate, Judo, TKD, BJJ, and a little basic boxing and Mui Thai over the past 20 years. I consider the arts that utilize a RESISTING OPPONENT to be the most effective for self defense (not common in most Karate, TKD, or Kung Fu schools). However, most CAN be good for getting/staying in shape.

I currently study Judo. You definitely learn quickly if your throws, matwork, chokes, etc. are up to par. Also, my instructor is top notch - not just an accomplished competitor but also a great coach (that is an important factor in considering the school you attend). Granted, we rarely practice striking, but I think that can easily be incorporated into practice. IMHO it is a reasonable balance between safe practice and effective self defence (as one ages, the body recovers slower and slower and that is a choice one must make).
Old January 9, 2006, 11:48 AM   #52
Derius_T

I took TKD when I was a little bugger. As I got older, I took Muay Thai. Not very well known around here, but extremely lethal. Now that I'm old and broken, I practice "Club-Beat-Down", and "Semi-Auto-Shootis" most exclusively.....
Old January 9, 2006, 03:58 PM   #53
Para Bellum

jiu-jitsu

...or a modern variant thereof. It's the most comprehensive no-nonsense system. Punching, Kicking, Grappling, twisting joints, balance etc. Works.

How I come to say that? after 22 years of TaeKwonDo, Kickboxing, Boxing, Judo and - finally - a modern Jiu-Jitsu variant (ATK) that's just my humble opinion.
Old January 9, 2006, 04:12 PM   #54
tshadow6

The best martial art is the one you can practise regulary. By that pick a dojo or kwoon that is close to you. Make sure the instructor has some real experience, pro kickboxing, tournaments, etc. Retired cops, military would have the real world experience. Ignore the guy who claims his system is the best in the world for everybody. look for regular sparring along with self defense. I studied Ishinryu Karate for 2.5 years before I had a real world fight. the sparring I did came in handy.
Old January 9, 2006, 06:14 PM   #55
geneinnc

My body is shot from degenerative joint problems, so I practice the 48ounce trigger pull method.
Old January 12, 2006, 01:36 PM   #56
MikeOrick

I wrestled and boxed in high school, college, and the military.

Along the way I have practiced some Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai, and Tai Chi.

What has been most useful for real are the dirty tricks my father/uncles taught me...

They all have recreational and practical sides. They all work if you work them right. They can all fail if you screw them up.
Old January 13, 2006, 06:52 AM   #57
Love&Hate12

Hey guys.

I study hard with Systema, American Hand to Hand combat and Ninjitsu

I also have dabbled with Judo and Kickboxing/Boxing.

I would reccomend military and special forces styles of fighting to anyone for street defense.

Have a good day fellas.
Old January 14, 2006, 11:20 PM   #58
DiplomaticBlackHawk

I have studied a few arts but Akido and Bushido
"true hagakure based " are MY LIFE and have been since i was 6 yrs old. I wake with the soul intent to live in this way.many arts are interesting but a few take total devotion and exceptance.
Old January 15, 2006, 05:12 PM   #59
exprt9

Martial Arts?

None actually interests me except for Gun-fu. Opponent goes keeyaah! My gun goes bang! End of confrontation! LOL!
Old January 15, 2006, 05:27 PM   #60
KNJoe

I know it's not a very orthodox first post, but oh well...

I should probably point out that most of those systems you people are discussing are SPORTS, and although the term 'martial art' does condone the mention of art forms, these have little to no practical aptitude. The presence of a COMBAT art is very rare in the modern atmosphere.

There are very few exceptions; ju-jitsu maintains some semblance of reality, but only if taught in a very abnormal setting. Gung Fo lacks in practicality much of the time, as although the proper teaching methodology concerns more conceptual identity than physical antics, in all the years I have been in the United States not once have i found any 'dojo' that applied it properly.
The mention of drunken boxing was also brought up, and although this may be cosmetically humurous, it far outsrips and systematically taught 'martial art.' Its mere inherent properties dictate that there be no system of movements, no kata, no pronounced specification. It is based on the idea that an unpredictable strike is more sure than a predictable one.
Krav Maga is NOT a compliation of other martial arts; it is application of practical ideas. So are the combative methods utilised by SEALS, which I would far more reccomend one checking out (personal experience).

If you've read to this point, you're either in full agreement of what I am saying, you're only doing it to laugh at what seems as arrogance and presumption, or you don't understand what I'm trying to say and are still working on figuring that out.
Someone earlier in the thread said this:

"of course martial arts are not a substitute for a gun"

That statement is CRAP. Any true combat art (note I didn't say 'martial art') integrates a gun; they are not only just as practical a weapon as any other in society, but are the second most socially integrated weapon we deal with at all.

The best martial art based on the principle or COMBAT PRACTICALITY I have found is Ninjutsu. Although it was mentioned earlier, it wasn't elaborated on any, and was mispelled as well. In fact, systems most special forces use (including the Mossad and SEALS) are simply derivative Ninjutsu, but taught by people who haven't studied their whole lives.
Any of you who don't know what that is, go look it up. Anyone who can't distinguish the romantic CRAP they'll find from reality probably has no business doing any such thing, and because of that, I'm not going to delve into it.

So, based on all that... My favorite Martial Art for athletic purposes is Brazilian Nin-Jutsu... And for actual combative purposes, it's the use of a high-powered rifle at a few hundred yards.
Ecprt9 has precisely the right idea; and it is on that pretense that any combat art is taught.

P.S. LoveandHate12, I'm currently bouncing about the country a bit, and wouldn't mind locating a few more dojos. What part of the country are you in?

And, although it's off-topic... I have found no sub-forums specific to CCW. Is this purposeful? Is it something that's going to be remedied? Or am I simply being daft in my inability to find it?

*edit* Twycross, thank you for the welcome.
I understand the initial use of that statement earlier in the thread. I also agree that Mjolnir made an unrelated, and seemingly pointless statement, and that it was appropriate to rebuttle it. I haven't mentioned anything from Mjolnir (I think that's his name) because I couldn't get my finger on a pointed and intellectual theme in his post. As Kungfucowboy had allocated his own in a civil and discernable manner, I could appropriately quote him.

The fact that he thinks of martial arts and guns along different and uncongruent planes was NOT, however, taken out of context. I think you misread what he said. He stated this quite plainly, in fact in a different paragraph entirely, so it was hardly taken out of context. His entire statement was exclusively 'of course martial arts are not a substitute for a gun.' It was with this statement alone i argued, as I agreed with everything else he said. Perhaps the miscommunication on our part is my own inability to correctly convey WHY I disagreed?

And would you please answer my question about the CCW subforum

Last edited by KNJoe; January 15, 2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old January 15, 2006, 07:15 PM   #61
Twycross

1). Welcome to TFL!

2). I can't let this one go:

Quote:
Someone earlier in the thread said this:

"of course martial arts are not a substitute for a gun"

That statement is CRAP. Any true combat art (note I didn't say 'martial art') integrates a gun;
I believe you are referring to kungfucowboy's post (#38). You have taken his statement out of context. It was part of a refutation of a poor analogy, and in the context of fighting animals.
Old January 15, 2006, 08:39 PM   #62
Trapp

I like Mexican Judo.......

Judo no know if I gotta Knife....
Judo no know if I gotta gun....
Judo no if I gotta chain....
Old January 16, 2006, 04:02 AM   #63
Samuel2001

+1 GUN FU

I try to practice it at least tree times a month, some times more.

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old January 16, 2006, 02:07 PM   #64
trigger happy

Gun Fu
Old January 16, 2006, 02:13 PM   #65
pickpocket

I know KARATE....

And three other Japanese words

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old January 16, 2006, 02:20 PM   #66
Mastrogiacomo

Wing Chun - it's simple, it works, and no flash.
Old January 16, 2006, 08:43 PM   #67
Love&Hate12

Knjoe - Central Florida.
Old January 16, 2006, 09:05 PM   #68
McBrideGuns

most effective in my openion

i have studdied 3 types of the arts and the most effective in my openion is hopkido ofcoures being in a wheelchair i had to study something that delbt with being on the ground since most likely that's where i would have ended up anyway but in my openion it really depends on your situation as to which you should study

steven
Old January 16, 2006, 10:47 PM   #69
Onebum

My preferred martial art...hmm...pablo picasso was great at it, and i'm into oil on canvas...though I do love a nice pen and ink, and sea scapes are my favorite.

does this post make me a twit? I think it does.
Old January 16, 2006, 11:27 PM   #70
FirstFreedom

whichever one helps me pull my gun quickly, engage my gun on target, hang onto my gun, shoot my gun, and failing that, pull my knife, use my knife, hang onto my knife .... I don't fight fair. I guess that's "Gun Fu", like they said. Being in good shape is important, too however.
Old January 17, 2006, 04:22 AM   #71
Lloyd Smale

no opinion on whats best i studied Tang So Do and Soo Bahk Do and enjoyed both.
Old January 17, 2006, 05:18 AM   #72
Weeg

I'm surprised no one has quoted that lethal style known as "Ching-chang-Bang"...

Old January 17, 2006, 07:09 PM   #73
USNavy_233

I take Krav Maga, haven't been doing it all that long but I can say without hesitation that it is a very practical Fighting Art. It covers but stand-up and groundwork. The groundwork puts an emphasis on getting back to your feet quickly and affectively. The stand-up emphasizes ending the fight quickly and affectively. As for a studio in the DFW area (which BTW, I don't think I saw a single person mention) check here:
http://www.kravmagadfw.com/
Old January 18, 2006, 12:10 AM   #74
chemist308

April 2002....wth
Old January 18, 2006, 03:21 PM   #75
Redworm

Quote:
martial arts are just a waste of time...for defensive purposes.
Then why does the United States Marine Corps require that every Marine qualify the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program?

To think that carrying a gun is good enough as self defense is as silly as thinking martial arts alone is good enough for self defense. Your gun will be completely useless if you're snuck up on and can't draw it or even worse if it's taken from you.

To the original poster: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/info/schoolguide.php

Couple of good tips there in choosing a school once you've picked out a style. I don't know about your area but some are saturated with McDojos and Bullshido studios. Be wary of any instructor that touts his system as "the most effective in the world". Even the Gracies haven't won every fight they've ever been in.

I'm currently thinking of signing up with www.ohanama.com which seems like a good mix of useful styles. In the 16 years I've been studying martial arts, the one I studied in Florida which combined four systems of kung fu seemed like by far the most effective. Sample as many as you can. Even Tae Kwon Do can be useful; not as a combat art but it certainly works the cardiovascular system and keeps one in shape.

I'd like to try out silat, krav maga, and capoeira sometime in the future.

Quote:
I'm surprised no one has quoted that lethal style known as "Ching-chang-Bang"...
I prefer the deadly and mysterious Pha Kew Upp
Closed Thread