The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 19, 2002, 12:50 PM   #1
Texas2NC

NC (Charlotte) area shooters?

Are there and Charlotte, NC area shooters here?

I am planning on shooting my first match (USPSA) soon and was wondering if there were other area shooters here with tips, hints, maybe an introduction ro two :-)

I was also considering going out to the IDPA shoot and trying my hand there as well, same with the Action Shooting.

How about it Carolinians?
Old March 21, 2002, 08:05 AM   #2
Billy Sparks

I don't know about too much down in the Charlotte area, I am in the Triad area. I do know that there is a range in Statesville (actually Troutman). I usually shot the GSSF match there every year. I do know that they have Cowboy shoots.
Old March 25, 2002, 04:02 PM   #3
DMSC

There are several people who come to the MCRC IDPA matches (near Columbia SC) that are from the Charlotte area. The last time I asked, they told me that there wasn't much to choose from in that area. I don't know about IPSC, however.
Old March 26, 2002, 07:51 AM   #4
Texas2NC

Thanks for the tips guys.. I knew about the Statesville one and Columbia is right around the corner from me.

DMSC: Can you give me more info on the SC range? Got a name or phone number? What is MCRC (I know the IDPA part ) ?
Old March 27, 2002, 04:22 PM   #5
DMSC

Texas2NC,

Here's a link to the Mid-Carolina Rifle Club's web site:

http://www.scfirearms.org/mcrc/index.html

There is a link to a map on the site as well as links to the lastest newsletters (club and IDPA) and IDPA match photos.

I'm the IDPA Match Director at MCRC. My contact information is also on the web site.

We shoot on the first Sunday morning of each month and start registration at 9:30.
Old March 28, 2002, 12:49 PM   #6
IDPAGizmo

IDPA near Charlotte

I shoot at the Foothills Defensive Shooters IDPA club near North Wilkesboro..... and maintain the website. It's only about 1 hour and 15 minutes from Charlotte ( straight up I-77 ).

We are having a 3-gun match this Sat. March, 30th. Pistol, Rifle, and handgun combined. Should be LOTS OF FUN !!

We have IDPA match the first Sat in every month year-round. And, usually have a side match ( rifle, shotgun, or back-up gun) as well.

There is also an IDPA club in Boone, NC.

Check the website at http://www.FoothillsIDPA.com
Old March 31, 2002, 05:30 PM   #7
IDPAGizmo

North Wilkesboro, NC IDPA

3-Gun match yesterday was a BLAST!!

4 pistol stages, 3 shotgun, 2 rifle, and one 'super stage' where you used all three guns !!

Next Saturday, April 6th, we have IPDA pistol and Carbine Rifle side match..

Come check us out..

http://www.FoothillsIDPA.com
Old March 31, 2002, 07:50 PM   #8
byerly

Have to second Foothills In Wilkesboro! I shot with them first of March and had a blast. Great bunch of guys and gals. HAd a good match despite some lousy conditions. I'll be there next Saturday, wearing my Firing Line t-shirt.
Old April 4, 2002, 08:31 AM   #9
Billy Sparks

I attended the 3 gun match at Foothills and had a blast too. I will definately be going back. I hate that I can't make it this Saturday but I have a class I have to go to. By the way when are the results going to be posted? I had to leave before the shooting finished.
Old April 4, 2002, 08:43 AM   #10
Texas2NC

This Saturday, eh? Er..... that sucks... I am going Vette shopping this weekend... bt I will be at the IPSC in Rowan county the weekend after!

I went to an Action Pistol last weekend at the Rowan range... only a couple of folsk showed up because of the Holiday, but I had fun. Shot better than I thought, high score for the day (Not saying much, only a few shooters.....)

Never competed before... it definitely adds spice!
Old April 4, 2002, 08:52 AM   #11
IDPAGizmo

Foothills 3-Gun results & Pics

The results and PICTURES should be posted on the FDS website early next week. I should be getting the picture disk from Denmother this Sat.

I'll post here again as soon as the results and pics are posted.
Old April 5, 2002, 11:54 PM   #12
IDPAGizmo

3-gun results

Billy Sparks:

3-Gun results are posted.

Old April 6, 2002, 11:51 PM   #13
sumabich

I'll second Foothills!

There were 40 of us there today had a great time. For the first time in two years my 1911 didn't like the ammo I was feeding it. Had jams the first 3 of 6 stages. Oh well! The folks at Wilkes are tops with all levels, and you will see them there. Today, for 10 bucks you could have shot your favorite pistol and shotgun. They have matches of some sort most Saturdays and I doubt you will get the same experience from any of the ranges in Charlotte. I invited another TFL'er from Charlotte and this was his first ever IDPA match. He did great and I think he's hooked. TexasNC you had a Basspro post earlier, check out my response to that one, I now know where you are. You will find the folks at Wilks as friendly and informative as TFL.
Old April 7, 2002, 03:24 PM   #14
Jorah Lavin

I'm the IDPA newbie Suma mentioned...

This was my first-ever pistol match, and the safety officers and others took care that I understood the instructions, didn't hurry me.

I had a great time a N. Wilkes and will be back, pending $$ and time... it was 130 miles each way, so not a quick jaunt. I was dog tired by the time I got home... lots of sun, wind, and driving wore me out.

The range where I shoot in Stanly county NC is installing a "pistol pit," and I"m hoping we can do some scenario-type shooting there.

I also shot in the shotgun side match, which was a lot of fun. I didn't miss any of the shotgun targets, but I've no idea how fast I was moving. Wasn't trying particularly to race, more to see how smoothly I could do things like reload on the move. I think I was the only person there with a non-black-plastic shotgun... my wife saw a Winchester 1300 Defender and got gun lust instantly. (sigh) I guess I'll just have to start saving up for one. What a shame.

Sumabich, thanks for getting me started!

-J.

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
Old April 8, 2002, 08:56 AM   #15
Texas2NC

sumabich

I have been seriously thinking about heading up to your neck of the woods for an IDPA shoot. The wife goes up there every now and then and she says the drive isn't bad....

You guys are making me jealous though... my IPSC match isn't until NEXT weekend and I am like a kid before christmas
Old April 8, 2002, 08:00 PM   #16
sumabich

So many guns so little time.......

Texas, good luck with your match. Get the same feeling every time too. I was so proud of Jorah, he has taken to it like a duck to water. All he has to do is buy the black stock for his gun and he'll be set! I'm in Shelby and Wilks is about an hour and 40 minutes drive time but the folks at Wilkes are tops and well worth the drive. There are a few shooters there that when they take the stage it sounds like full auto going off. Eat, breath and sleep..... The rest of us concentrate on having a good run and the SO's don't treat you any different. I've been so impressed with them I'd like to become a SO (if I ever get the time). The state match will be in Boone in Sept. and if you can make it you will see some of the best in the region. There's also time to qualify. Check out the foothills site for information. Email Gary or denmother, they'll set you up right.
Old April 8, 2002, 08:25 PM   #17
W. F. McElhany

I am about an hour away and drove up to check out the 3-gun match the other Sat. Looks like fun and the folks that I talked to seemed easy to get along with. I didn't shoot, just a father/daughter drive, but I sure want to give it a try if I can.
I checked my calender against their schedule and am working every 1st Sat. thru Sept. Maybe later, I'll keep checking.
Old April 9, 2002, 12:13 AM   #18
IDPAGizmo

WFM - Schedule conflicts

WFM,

Our sister club in Boone meets the 3rd Sat. from April-Sept.
Maybe you can join us there... check the links section at
www.FoothillsIDPA.com

BTW... the Winchester 1300 Defender was mine

Glad you and the wife liked it Jorah. It's a great shotgun for under $300.00 . Now if I can learn to operate it I'll be set.

There were some SWEET Benellis there too.. To bad I don't have $1000 for an M1 Tac.

Anyways, it not about the equipment you can afford. Its about learning how to effectively operate your guns in a life-threatening situation. Which we all hope NEVER happens...

-Giz
Old April 21, 2002, 10:04 PM   #19
IDPAGizmo

Next Shoot at FDS - May 4th

Next Shoot at FDS - May 4th

I would like to invite all shooters in central and western NC to visit the Foothills Defensive Shooters IDPA club at our next shoot, Saturday, May 4th.

For more info, contact info, and directions please visit our website

Old April 22, 2002, 07:04 AM   #20
Billy Sparks

Have ya'll decided on what the side match is going to be May 4th yet? Your starting at 11:00am, right?
Old April 22, 2002, 11:58 AM   #21
ladyshooter

Jorah,

You were not alone without the black stock shotgun. I shoot a Remington 870 with the natural wood stock.

The Wilkesboro club is a great and the people are the best around. The same people can be found in Boone also. The match this weekend in Boone was great and I had a ball shooting in the carbine side match despite being terrible with a rifle.

Glad to see new shooters come out to join us. I am one of the few women who shoot out there. Stop and say hello next time you come to a match. My husband and I love to talk to new folks. If you are not sure who I am look for the little dog sleeping through all of the gun fire. He is our official IDPA pup and you will usually find me or my husband in the near vicinity.

Look forward to meeting you in the future and I hope you continue to come out and shoot with us.
Old April 24, 2002, 09:59 AM   #22
IDPAGizmo

May 4th FDS Match specifics

Saturday May 4th, Foothills Defensive Shooters IDPA

9am: Rifle / Carbine Match

11am: IDPA Pistol

After Main Match: Back-up Gun sidematch

LOTS OF TRIGGER TIME !!! Should be fun, hope to see you all there.

www.FoothillsIDPA.com