The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 3, 2002, 02:45 PM   #1
Coop57

Lack of H&Ks in competition

Is it me or is there not alot of H&Ks in IDPA, IPSC or any type of competition?
Old April 3, 2002, 03:06 PM   #2
cobraman

Yep your right

Why dont you see many HK's in IDPA and IPSC? Because there are much better guns to shoot those matches with. The USP series of pistols are expensive and have only ok triggers that gunsmiths can't or won't attempt to do trigger jobs.
There are some Sponsered HK shooters who use the USP Expert in Limted Division for IPSC. But man HiCaps aren't cheap and neither is the gun.
Ipsc and IDPA are ruled by 1911's and Glocks. Why because they are easy to find, Lots of smiths and armorers work on them. Mags are cheap and availible.
HK's dont have any of that going for them.
Me I shoot a CZ75 ST IPSC with a 1.75lbs trigger and 16 round mags in IPSC and a 1911 with some custom work in IDPA.
Both guns together probably cost me less than a USP Expert.
Old April 4, 2002, 09:56 AM   #3
bullseyekp

"Better" guns to shoot IDPA with??

While there are limited numbers of HK pistols being used in IDPA, I doubt the three guys who shoot for HK think their pistols are inferior. IIRC, at the 2001 Badlands Regional Shootout in Tulsa, those three guys all placed in the top 5 out of approximately 100 shooters. And they led by a significant margin. Seriously, these guys were smokin'. They were not necessarily on the immortal level of Leatham, Sevigny, or Jarrett, but they were very, very close.

Coop57, if you are considering using an HK or buying one for IDPA or IPSC, I would encourage you to consider all your options and if the HK suits your needs, shoot whatever game you want with it. Consider cobraman's point that mags are expensive and gunsmithing is unlikely with the HK.

Now, I will agree that the guns are expensive and the trigger on the USP 45 I once shot was terrible. :barf: However, if you practice enough with a particular weapon, it is possible to become extremely proficient/competitive with that firearm, regardless of the manufacturer or model.

Regards,

"The guy who shoots in the 80-90th percentile at the major IDPA matches he attends -- with a RUGER"
"The great German poet, Goethe, who also lived through a crisis of freedom, said to his generation: 'What you have inherited from your fathers, earn over again for yourselves or it will not be yours'. We inherited freedom. We seem unaware that freedom has to be remade and re-earned in each generation of man."

--Adlai Stevenson, "Politics and Morality", Saturday Review, February 7, 1959.
Old April 8, 2002, 02:41 PM   #4
TVDean

I was thinking that I don't see a lot of Sig-Sauers in USPSA......
Old April 8, 2002, 09:47 PM   #5
9x45

You see very, very few H&K's, Sigs, S&W autos and Rugers in competitive forums, notably USPSA and IDPA. For USPSA, it's hard to beat a correctly set-up STI or Glock. In IDPA, you don't need anything more than a 1911 or Glock in 9mm. Glocks are cheap and run for several hundred thousand rounds. 1911's have the best short reset trigger. Both 1911's and Glocks have tons of aftermarket goodies available and lots of smiths to make them run even better.
But, it's a matter of personal preference. If an H&K works for you, go for it. Personally, I don't see the advantage to a large, heavy, clunky gun with no add on goodies, wierd trigger, no one to make it run smoother, that costs alot, not including hicaps.
Old April 9, 2002, 01:05 PM   #6
Morgan

My local IDPA shoot typically has five or six guys with USPs, and an occasional P7, out of maybe 40 shooters.
Old April 10, 2002, 06:09 PM   #7
Navy joe

As mentioned the high NIB cost, another problem is its hard to beat a Glock's repeatable trigger for use in the production class. That and the fact there are tons of aftermarket goodies for Glocks. The DA/SA trigger transition is hard to run fast, making HK's, Berettas, CZ,s etc. the minority in the production guns. Then I watched someone shoot with a DA only USP, and between the trigger and his flinch it was, well...painful. And long.

Old April 10, 2002, 08:23 PM   #8
Kermit

I used my USPc 9 this past weekend and I saw 2 other guys shooting their HK's too.
It's what I have been carrying lately, so that's what I used.
Old April 12, 2002, 06:40 PM   #9
HKguy9

MOst guys carry 1911s and Grocks.

The thing I don't like about HKs is the long trigger reset. After shooting my Beretta for a few weeks straight, I have to spend time with the HK because the reset is much longer.

I love it when those 1911s screw up (dirty, tight gun, bad reloads) and my ultrareliable Beretta and HK passes them up because they were busy clearing malfunctions.
Old April 12, 2002, 08:41 PM   #10
Navy joe

I guess you shouldn't watch me then Skunk, I regularly us my 57 yr old A1 to dispel that silly unreliable 1911 myth. Thing runs circles around lots of choking new guns, wish the shooter could do the same. It gets laughed at because the finish (park) is so ugly, but it just keeps going bang, what's the problem?
Old April 12, 2002, 09:01 PM   #11
HKguy9

Well, not saying that ALL 1911s are unreliable, just the guns some of the guys around me are built REALlY REALLY tight. Sometimes it's a bad reload, but I shoot factory ammo. My USP and Beretta are both smooth, relatively loose, but not terribly so. I seen other 1911s keep going and going and going but some guys happen to jam all the time.
Old April 14, 2002, 03:45 PM   #12
Tango27

A friend of mine used to shoot IPSC with his USP in .40. He did just fine with it, though magazines were tough for him to find. Those of us shooting Glocks were always loaded to the gills with high-caps, but he only had a couple magazines for the USP--which meant he was always furiously re-loading in between stages.

I've always liked the Glocks because they are simple and reliable. Maintenance is easy. Other than that, I guess it's just personal preference.
Old April 19, 2002, 08:12 PM   #13
spd522

FYI- the three guys mentioned that shoot for Team HK used to shoot Berettas. Their PD switched to HK as the rest of their swat toys were HK too. One of them told me that he is really more comfortable with his Beretta. They are all good shooters no matter what they have in their hands.

For IDPA SSP, I shoot a Sig P226 and do just fine. I also shoot it in IPSC Production class and can't complain there either. I actually started IPSC shooting back in 91 with a P226. I agree that Glocks are probably the gun of choice in IDPA and IPSC in SSP and Production. I own Glocks myself. I have just had better luck out of Sigs, for reliability, mags that drop out when they are supposed to, and not being finicky about reloaded ammo.
Old April 21, 2002, 07:54 PM   #14
vetts1911

The deal here is get what you can shoot. An HK, SIG, Beretta and Glock are straight out reliable guns. They way to mess up that is simple to much oil, aftermarket mags, bad ammo, the wrong parts well the list goes for while. A tight 1911 will work, mine was so tight I could hardly move the slide I finnished. I shoot 1911's, Glocks, and a CZ in IDPA and IPSC. I have used HK, Beretta and Sig but, that they were not quick enough and not suitable to me just not for me and not the other shooter. I have been beat by a Beretta and HK plenty and loose old 45's. Just shop around and see what fits.

Just my 2 cents
Old April 21, 2002, 08:06 PM   #15
Texas2NC

Quote:
However, if you practice enough with a particular weapon, it is possible to become extremely proficient/competitive with that firearm, regardless of the manufacturer or model.

Regards,

"The guy who shoots in the 80-90th percentile at the major IDPA matches he attends -- with a RUGER"
Sorry.. I had to revisit these line.. it was just too perfect
No offense intended
Old April 21, 2002, 09:50 PM   #16
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Colorado Front Range IDPA sees a lot of USP's. While its true you see a lot of Glocks we also see a lot of Sigs. You don't see many people shooting in the esp division.