The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 24, 2013, 03:35 PM   #1
dontcatchmany

Fully Left-handed semi?????

I am in the market for a fully lefthanded semi-automatic hand gun in .40 cal S&W.

By fully lefthanded I mean ambi slide, ambi safety and ambi mag release. Heck, I would love a truly lefthanded weapon, but doubt it is out there without way too much dinero. What else would make a semi fully left handed?

Right now, I have discovered a couple.

FN FNX 40
Beretta Px4 (I think)
S&W M&P 40...have to order it that way I think

There seems to be a goodly number in 9mm and maybe .45 ACP, but I got my desires on .40 cal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, small enough for CCW would be optimum.
Old March 24, 2013, 03:55 PM   #2
thedudeabides

For 5750 Cabot will make you a left-handed mirror image Southpaw 1911.

Dlask out of Canada and Randall out of SA also makes them for a bit cheaper.
Old March 24, 2013, 03:58 PM   #3
dayman

The Walther PPQ is fully ambi., and it can be had in .40
Old March 24, 2013, 03:59 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Cabot Arms...

Cabot markets a full left hand 1911a1 series .45acp pistol. They are not cheap!

Other left hand/ambi style pistols include: Walther PPX, P-88 9x19mm, EZ9, P2000 & P2000sk, CZ85 Combat, Beretta PX4 Compact, FNH's FNS pistols, the P30, the HK P7m8/P7m13.

The rare Walther P5 9mm(9x19mm) ejected to the left but it's out of production.
Walthers new duty size pistols like the PPX & PPQ are ambi type. The Ruger SR line has many ambi controls too.

ClydeFrog
Old March 24, 2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides
For 5750 Cabot will make you a left-handed mirror image Southpaw 1911.

Dlask out of Canada and Randall out of SA also makes them for a bit cheaper.
Randall has been out of business for many years. As far as I know, Dlask is no longer offering left-handed 1911s, either, but I may be wrong about that. If they're making them, good luck getting one into the U.S. from canada.
Old March 24, 2013, 07:34 PM   #6
ms6852

As a south paw myself and and owner of the Walther PPQ I agree with dayman.
The PPQ is fully ambidextrous.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:12 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
I am in the market for a fully lefthanded semi-automatic hand gun in .40 cal S&W.

By fully lefthanded I mean ambi slide, ambi safety and ambi mag release. Heck, I would love a truly lefthanded weapon, but doubt it is out there without way too much dinero. What else would make a semi fully left handed?
Bersa Ultra Carry. Safety and slide release are ambidextrous. Magazine release is reversible. Available in .40.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 24, 2013, 08:21 PM   #8
TunnelRat

There are lots of options. Many already mentioned. It's really not hard to find.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 24, 2013, 10:54 PM   #9
njmedic1485

The S&W M&P (if you can find one) has all the features you are looking for. The magazine release easily converts to left handed, but is of sufficient size and placement that firing left handed I have no trouble hitting the release with my index or middle fingers. With the different size palm swells you can fit the grip to your hand.
bob
Old March 24, 2013, 11:20 PM   #10
okiewita40

Any of the Gen4 Glocks can be made right or left handed just by switching the mag release.
Old March 25, 2013, 01:22 AM   #11
FoghornLeghorn

The Cabot 1911 for the southpaw: $5,250. Lesse. For that I could buy five or six Colt 1911s, have them fitted with an ambi safety, and just learn to adapt to using my index finger to release the slide.

Wait, that's just what I did!
Old March 25, 2013, 04:39 PM   #12
Caz83

Most HK's are ambi. Check out the Grand Power K series. STI used to import them as the GP5 and GP6 and felt really good in the hand.

I'm a lefty as well. and all 3 pistols I own are 1911's with ambi safety. I have grown accustomed to using my left index finger to manipulate the mag release. In fact, some "Righties" will do just that to their 1911's and switch the mag release to the right side for competition and easier manipulation. It keeps the hand in a firm grip without having to loosen it to reach the mag release w/ your thumb. As for the slide release, I hardly ever use it except when trying out the trigger reset which is a bit akward. Just remember to take the mag out and you wont have any worries about slide lock. I mostly sling shot the slide for first round chambering.

Same can be said about Sig Sauer's and their decocker. I was disappointed that they don't taylor to lefties but decocker manipulation with my index finger is a breeze.
Old March 25, 2013, 07:21 PM   #13
tekarra

I have not seen Dlask offer a left hand 1911 for several years now. Even if they did, importing into u.s. would be expensive.
Old March 25, 2013, 08:10 PM   #14
dakota.potts

I handed a CZ 75 in .40 recently. Felt very nice. They offer them in fully ambidextrous models.
Old March 25, 2013, 08:18 PM   #15
IDbound

I second the previous poster suggesting the HK line. Later models of the USP line, HK45 and of course the best of all, the P7 line.
Old March 27, 2013, 03:57 PM   #16
jnichols2

Ruger SR-40
Old March 28, 2013, 09:00 AM   #17
Mr_Jumper

PX4 Compact - ambi-slide stop, ambi-safety/decock, ambi-mag release.
Old March 29, 2013, 12:11 PM   #18
trespass

fnx

fnx is decent possibility...if you like traditional controls and grips in nature of 19ll/hipower is one to check out. look at reviews,etc on youtube.
Old March 29, 2013, 12:25 PM   #19
Deaf Smith

Get A Walther P5. Heal clip, top ejection, and the like. It's a ambidextrous design.

Deaf
Old April 3, 2013, 07:47 AM   #20
dontcatchmany

Thanks for the replies ....lots of good ideas and your responses have helped shorten my search.

I shot a couple of right handed semis...one 9mm and one 40...not a problem with the shooting, but I had difficulty with the right handed controls.

Stopped by a local dealer and they had what my research was causing me to lean toward. FN FNX 40. I was not able to shoot it, but I handled it extensively and it was slick ...all of the controls seemed to be just where I needed them.

I still got to take the concealed class to this Saturday so do not have any permits to purchase any more (used them on my revolvers) but as soon as I get the permit I think I will get the FN......and I will probably check out several other semis mentioned by you folks.

Of course, this stuff is as addicting as it was when the black gun long rifle disease (ar15 and ar10 types) was inside me....I thought I was cured from that, but am having a relapse with the black hand guns....I now am going to get two.....one a 40 and one a 9mm and am considering a 45

Thanks again for all of your help
Old April 3, 2013, 04:26 PM   #21
BigD_in_FL

The HK P7 is completely ambidextrous and is very accurate
Old April 4, 2013, 06:28 AM   #22
TRX

I don't have any problem with the slide and mag release on most pistols. I do, however, object to occasionally having brass ejected into my face. I could probably use a sideways "gangsta" hold to fix that, but I'm old and set in my ways.