The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 26, 2006, 10:26 PM   #1
titleman2005

shotgun purchase for wife

my wife wants to start shooting trap and skeet with me. I have a browning superposed 12ga but that is too much for her as i dont want to scare her away. I am thinking about a 20ga over/under. I would also like to use the gun for myself during dove season. I have $1500 to spend I want it to be a quality gun that is comfortable for her. Is there any way to measure the right stock length other than trying it out. The local shop does not have a big selection to try out. Any advise from other wife/girlfriend skeet shooters reference gun selection would be a great help. thanks again
Old May 27, 2006, 04:29 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

The only reason a 12 ga is too much for her is because she hasn't had much experience. How many guns do you wan to buy for her? When she gets used to shooting a smaller gun, she will be able to handle the larger 12 ga. much better.

Consider getting her the 12 ga and going with light loads. I haven't shot many 20s, but full powered 20s didn't seem all that different than light 12 ga to me.

As for the stock length, you are talking about the draw length. You can look it up on the net, maybe find it on this forum, but either way, the guy at the store should be able to explain it to you and determine the proper fit of the gun. Since he is with the store, then take somebody you know who shoots trap, knows shotguns.
Old May 27, 2006, 05:02 AM   #3
UniversalFrost

28 is a great trap/skeet and dove gun. You can find many O/U 's out there from browning, remingtion, etc.. in this popular gauge. Also might try a 16 gauge as a good gauge between the 20 and 12. Wife shot a 410 and fell in love with it trying to work her up to 12 gauge slwoly.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old May 27, 2006, 11:58 PM   #4
guntotin_fool

how big is she?

my wife is tall but thin (5' 7 120) and she really prefers a youth 1100 in 20ga as it bites a little less and is softer on her shoulder, she just does not have the meat on shoulder to take a 12 repeatedly. My daughter is taller but a little bigger and handles my 12 ga superposed and 870's with no problem.

If you are going to try a lot of shooting, which skeet and trap usually endup being, then try an 1100 or 11 87. they just seem to shoot softer when you use them a lot. It may not feel that different shooting one round, but 3-4 rounds, the next morning will make all the difference.

Also consider getting a pro shooting coach to help her the first time or two. For me it was much easier when I was not trying to tell my wife what to do. The guy we used is a family friend, but it was the disconnect that he was not her spouse the made it a lot easier for her to manage it. He was also able to get her to correct that typical womens reaction to lean away from the weight of the gun so that recoil had no where to go. Now she leans into the gun on her front foot so that the recoil is absorbed by her rear foot.
Old May 28, 2006, 12:28 AM   #5
titleman2005

thanks

with all the great advise I will take her to the range and let her first try my 1100 and next the superposed. I will use a real light load and this should work for her. she is 5'5" 116. I can use the money saved from not having to buy a new gun for her for a new gun for me
Old May 28, 2006, 12:29 AM   #6
Heist

Maybe there's some way you can try out a few different variations with her and pick the one she likes best? Youth stocked 20 gauges are very, very nice, both for smaller shooters and for an 'indoors' shotgun.

Edit: posted too slow